Google Blogoscoped

Forum

On Google Nexus One Being Unlocked  (View post)

David [PersonRank 0]

Wednesday, January 6, 2010
14 years ago6,934 views

I don't know about other countries, but it's nothing special to get a phone without a contract. There are a lot of online stores who offer phones without contracts (even in Germany there are websites which offer Iphones without a contract). You just have to pay a higher price.

So where is the new thing about it ?!?

Jeffrey Martin [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

"will be available unlocked for use on every participating carrier."

that's contradictory. either it's unlocked and works on EVERY carrier, or not.

NexusNinja [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

in India (World's 2nd Largest Phone Market after China) almost every body (excluding CDMA user) use unlocked phones and they are very happy about it because in the long run they need to pay less money then contract phones . Apple tries to sell contract iPhones with 2 years Airtel (Indian Phone company) Contract . but only very very few people buys those High Priced Fashionable Bricks .

Nexus One is a fresh air in US monopolistic market

BTW do u we pay less then 1 cent per 1 minute local call. its only happed because there is no scope for monopolies in Indian Phone services . if some company's network is bad or charge high price for call rate we can easily change Phone companies as all handsets are unlocked :)

not to offend but US Myopic Consumers can't see this

14 years ago #

we pays 0.30 INR (0.0065 USD) avr per 1 minutes local calls or 0.02 INR (0.00043 USD) per 2 second in India ;) its the cheapest in the world

14 years ago #

http://www.billshrink.com/blog/nexus-one-vs-iphone-droid-palm-pre-total-cost-of-ownership/

Nexus One saves Money on the long run . check the site to know more

Reto Meier [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Jeffrey Martin It's fully unlocked (SIM and bootloader)

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I'm always amused by the bullshit around cell phones ... When will they separate carrier / phone / phone number?

When will I be able to make a phone call using my ISP using well my PHONE!?

When will I be able to use Google Talk on Android with Voice? (note it is called Google "Talk")

It's amazing that once a computer becomes a phone then it is automatically attached to a carrier ... please let me use my ISP thanks!

It's amusing that the price of an sms is not set to how much data it costs but rather to how much you can say. If it would be then it would be nearly free.

It's pretty amazing that the telecom companies have been able to rip off people for that long indeed. Amazing that our governments have done very little to forbid anti-capitalistic practices such as:

- very few licenses
- setting up prices
- zero competition market

Sounds like a communist market.

It's amusing that most calls are placed at homes and yet you have to use your cell phone carrier. I'm amazed!!

If the cell phones have been able to do this, I think it means a lot about the stupidity and possibly corruption of our governments.

It is unfortunate because here is a major market that will create millions of jobs. But that market has to be expanded.

Now let's all pray that one company will change this. It will be a revolution.

The equation for Google is simple:

Google Voice + VoIP provider + Android + Nexus One + Open consumer hotpots = Free from the bullshit of the cell phone companies

But will Google have the balls?

- Google Voice for the number portability.

- VoIP for cheap or free calls over the net using WiFi and 3G. Google acquired Gizmo.

- Android to let programmers implement SIP clients. An example is Sipdroid.

- Nexus One because it is unlocked. Finally a company has the balls to sell a cell phone (which is well computer) like a computer.

- Let people open their hotspots so we can make calls over WiFi.

Please Google expand the mobile internet market and free us from the bullshit of the cell phone companies!

Alex

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

To lock the customer into buying a carrier contract along with the phone is illegal in Belgium.

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]TOM

after knowing this my respect for Belgium increased :)

sankar anand [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

phones are like girls, for a minute some girl looks gud n you want her,and the other minute you see a better looking girl you like her too. I was a Iphone Fan for Ages.. Now Nexus has crossed the path :-):-(I am sorry Iphone :-(but I want both

NQ Logic [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Google is moving down in the stack to challenge B2C opponents with an open architecture and new sets of standards. In creating a post-revenue business model, Google can only manage success if consumers accept a co-branding and outsourced manufactured device ... NQ Logic recommends reading about the rest of the new Google's mobile strategy at www.nqlogic.com

NOKIA N900 [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Alex

I am already using Google Talk and Skype for voice chatting for about a month now. People, get your heads out of you asses and look around. By the way, Nokia sells the N900 unlocked by default.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]NOKIA N900:

Of course there are solutions but they are usually difficult to put in place. For example you can use Fring for GTalk or Skype calls. Note that the actual GTalk or Skype are "light" versions. They are made so that you can't make calls using 3G or WiFi or you have to use your minutes. On the iPhone however you can use Skype to make calls over WiFi. But anyway this is just complicated ... when all I have in my hands is a computer and in my home (where people make most of their calls) an internet connection.

* Stop bundling a carrier to a phone.

* Stop giving us two years lock in bullshit contracts to supposedly subsidized a $200 dollars phone. That phone would become so cheap if the laws of a free economy would be applied to it (only possible if the phone is unlocked sold just any other computer)

* Stop forbidding VoIP over 3G and making it difficult over WiFi. And please let people open their hotspots easily.

* Stop making it difficult to keep what should have been a long time ago obsolete: a phone number and which should have been replaced a long time ago by: an email.

* Stop Wap, a bullshit mini commercial internet.

These cell phones companies are responsible for a devolution in mobile communications. They and our governments are responsible for the millions of jobs not created out of mobile internet.

And I pray every night for Google to save us. Please Google save us from the tyranny of the cell phone companies!

John R Carlisle [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I was a little disappointed with the release of the Nexus One phone by Google. Not one co-worker here at the John R. Carlisle Institute felt it was any better than the Iphone or Droid. I say Iphone or Droid since it is more comparable than the Blackberry. The Nexus One is not any huge leap in technology or features that makes it significantly better. The only difference is the manner in which is being distributed. Google now controls the entire supply chain.

John R. Carlisle

Nokia N900 [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Alex K

Don't know what you are talking about, I am using Gtalk and Skype over 3G as well as over WiFi. These options are well integrated in my phonebook, so I have to chose when i make the call. I am not bound to any carrier and I do not have a contract for 2-3-x years. The browser is like on my desktop and I see youtube on the www.youtube.com not on some crappy app. By the way this is the Nokia N900 that I am talking about, a "mobile computer with phone capabilities" – hehe.

Guys, the phone you are looking for is out there already, well, maybe not quite because Nokia has difficulties to supply the HUGE demand.

Geoff Jones [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

The phone may be unlocked but the site and phone are not inaccessible in France.

Geoff Jones [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

that's meant to be accessible :-(

[username] [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Sometimes it's really that simple, isn't it? I feel a little stupid for not thinking of this myself/earlier, though.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!