Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Local Business Center Privacy Breach?  (View post)

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

Friday, January 8, 2010
14 years ago5,655 views

I got one of these and didn't think much of it (or try it out unfortunately).

This morning I got a note from Google with my correct information and also saying that the earlier message was a "manual error" whatever that means.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Macbeach, can you copy and paste here what Google wrote in the mail to you (I mean, the parts about the error)?

Richard C. [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

A similar mistake happened to me (I received the details for "Times Relocation Bangalore") and Google's apology read:

"We recently sent you a version of your monthly Local Business Centre newsletter that may have contained some incorrect business listing statistics – our apologies. Shortly after sending out the email, we realized that there was a human error when putting together the content. We're sorry about this mistake. Here you'll find the updated, accurate statistics for your business. "

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I wonder if they also emailed the person whose business stats have inadvertently been revealed to others?

Morgan Daly [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I recieved a version with another businesses info but I assumed it to be spam and just deleted it.

Andrew [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Is this really a big deal?
I don't own the twitter website but I can still go to Google trends to see how many searches they are getting... and I don't think Google has to advise me or twitter of the fact that I did this.

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

A day after I got GBC data for some company I'd never heard of I got my correct data with a note in italics prepended. Is this what you wanted to see?....

Performance for
(***** my organization name here ******) – in November 2009

We recently sent you a version of your monthly Local Business Center newsletter that may have contained some incorrect business listing statistics – our apologies. Shortly after sending out the email, we realized that there was a human error when putting together the content. We're sorry about this mistake. Here you'll find the updated, accurate statistics for your business.

macbeach [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

Note I quoted them "manual error" when in fact it said "human error".

I'm still puzzled by what this might mean. I'm pretty sure that no part of Google employs rooms full of typists. So, one way or another the "human error" must have been on the part of a "human programmer".

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/12/google_leaks_small_business_traffic_stats/

but Blogoscoped knew on Friday already!!

=) =)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!