Google Blogoscoped

Forum

German Spiegel on Google Goggles' Face Recognition and More  (View post)

NexusAndroid [PersonRank 1]

Sunday, January 10, 2010
14 years ago5,192 views

"Life is Beta " well said .

NexusAndroid [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

i found a relevant video about Google's future products

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0LfUhUK678

Yano [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

even considering the privacy issues the Goggles technology would be a great thing to have, maybe it's a step in our evolution new tech seems to peal off more of our privacy with each step forward or cause us to secede some of it, some of the photos people post of them selfs on Facebook are just mind boggling, still facebook is a great thing to have and maybe so much info will be out there we'll develope some sort of blindess or apathy to it, maybe it'll even make us better less judgmental people.

ahab [PersonRank 5]

14 years ago #

The only frightening issue about new technologies is if they are for a happy few (e.g. the ones buying Google Nexus phones). So in essence to protect ourself by having the same technology at hand Google more or less forces us to buy the same technology.

So Google is in essence becoming a 'pusher' of new technology: buy it or become a victim of it.

One can wonder if the Do No Evil tag now totally has rubbed off...

A small 'Gedankenexperiment':
Let's jump to 2050 when Google will have created the first safe brain enhancement chip – connect to the internet directly from you brain. Should society allow such new brain chip enhanced all-knowing superhumans to roam the earth..?

Sheephead [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Face recognition may be hard, but not if you have people do it for you. Picasa, which is a Google product has facial recognition. Google pulls in all the similar faces and you tell them who it is. Faces are connected to email addresses from your contacts list, hmmm, maybe Google is already collecting faces and connecting them to our accounts to be ready to flip the switch.

Internet Strategist [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Few realize the power of data mining combined with advances in technology and the dangers they represent to life as we know it. I have many posts explaining our exposures in the privacy section of my GrowMap.com blog.

How dangerous might it be? I strongly recommend those reading this go to IBMandtheHolocaust.com and understand how computers made rounding up "undesirables" fast and easy for Hitler.

Don't fall for the "if you don't do anything illegal you have nothing to fear" arguments. Imagine how easy it will be for them to select everyone who ever read a particular book or searched for a specific subject. If you think they will listen when you explain why think again.

Those who don't study history are destined to repeat it. Remember the poem that includes the line "And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me" (search for it) and realize where this could all be going. Only the second coming will save us from ourselves.

JoFr [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Facebook is much more evil than Google

Overnet User [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

This is certainly possible now that the f b i and their racketeering stooges have that image recognition feature for face and body already. I hope that the future is protected more. The f b i is the biggest database of people I hear.

dragonsowl [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Picasa already has a face recognition software built in... it automatically groups similar faces together with astounding accuracy (even more so if you confirm the match)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!