Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Put Google Videos on Your Site  (View post)

Fred Jeffry [PersonRank 1]

Wednesday, January 11, 2006
18 years ago

Is there a workaround to watch google Videos in Germany?

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Have you ever found out why Google Video doesn't work in Germany? Is it some kind of deliberate restriction by Google? I don't seem to have any problems here in the Netherlands.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Yes, the restriction is deliberate. I don't know exactly which countries Google bans. This is the message I get:

"Thanks for your interest in Google Video.

Currently, the playback feature of Google Video isn't available in your country.

We hope to make this feature available more widely in the future, and we really appreciate your patience."

I contacted Google about this, and they pretty much send back a similar statement as above in a form letter.

As for workarounds, the Google Web Accelerator sometimes works. Using the Google Translator also sometimes works. Buying works only in the US. Including videos in other sites looks like it's working, but then the video doesn't load (only the first cell is shown and then endless buffering... I've seen this happening on different sites, for different Google Videos).

I still have hope...

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

China is another one country banned by google,Philipp.

Google video never works for us,even with the Google Web Accelerator.

So usually i use a proxy.But proxys dont support a HTTPS,so i still cant get everything work.

Even Wikipedia is banned in this country.

Everything looks like DARK.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Having Wikipedia disappear must be really, really bad. It's become such an important source for information. I hope China opens up.

Charles Lihui [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yes, Wikipedia is banned by China govenment, but there's a mirror site of Wikipedia in China, http://wikipedia.cnblogs.org

Google Video works well, it's never been banned.

Alberto [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The banning in China is a bit of differnte situation since it's a restriction imposed by the government.

In the case of Germany Google is deliberately not offering some of its services. Very strange, I would be very interesting in finding out their reasons for doing that.

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

no more need any "hack" to get the google video playback work.

1.copy the data="ZZZ" in "Put on site" HTML code,ZZZ is what we need.

2.paste it in the address bar of browser,press enter and the playback works very perfect just like in the USA,whichever country you live.

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

and to Charles,please ensure that you'd tried the video playback function before you say "Google Video works well,it's never been banned".

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't test the hack- I have no problems. But is the hack legit ? Does it work where googvideo has it banned/denied ?

sk.h [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I dont understand the hack of ZZZ

gaby de wilde [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google, Yahoo and Microsoft try to protect the American lack of intellect. But our lack of EU management is doing miracles against our IT development to.

I was so pissed when I found out that the satellite images of the Netherlands are some persons property. We will won't ever be on google earth like that? In stead I can buy a jpg of my house for 180 euros. #%#^$%#[put at-character here]

Our business plan is to give google enough shit to prevent them from creating services in the EU. I'm sure they tried and ran off in fear of our bureaucracy.

Maybe the content in German isn't so interesting for Google users?

It's fixed now but I know I've lost what little interest I had in technorati when millions of German blog posts appeared tagged with English words. I can read it but my readers cant so I don't have to link to it. A million excuses wont do, I'm not linking to stuff my readers cant read.

I think google thinks the same. "no profitable content"

Not a very honest way to do business.

Premshree Pillai [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Fred Jeffry: Here's a Greasemonkey script you could use: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/3132 :-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!