Google Blogoscoped

Forum

YouTube launches HTML 5 test

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, January 21, 2010
14 years ago7,596 views

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/01/introducing-youtube-html5-supported.html

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It works awesomely!

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Except for the fact that they aren't using a Free/Open format which was specified in the idea i submitted which they even linked to!

Q [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

Someone named Ryan wrote in a blog comment: "Google working with Mozilla to add h264 support for Firefox." Not sure whether he's a Google employee. Wasn't there something with Google buying a company so that they could open up h264?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

On2 – and not opening up h264, but acquiring formats that are even better than h264 =]

Lol [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

youtubes video are converted to that format so they need to convert it back to Theroa or whatever it's called

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

1. It thinks Chromium doesn't support HTML5
2. You can't embed the HTML5 videos
3. It seems to not be working at all now (defaulting back to flash)

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The only thing I am annoyed about is that I can't use the new YouTube experiment and the html5 experiment at the same time

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Oh is that the problem? It was working fine before...

Q [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

Chromium doesn't ship with h264 support since Google's patent license only applies to software they distribute themselves. So it is in the same situation as Firefox.

Interesting that Vimeo was ready to release HTML5 video support on the same day. Did they know YouTube was going to do it?

I also wonder whether there will be an announcement soon that solves the whole patent issue, and that both Google and Vimeo know about. Something like a free license, or Google buying the companies behind h264.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

They can't go ahead any buy all the companies that hold the patents, and even if they could, why would they have gone and acquired On2 then?

Q [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

Okay, okay, no extra company buying then. But there must be something that makes Google trust h264 as a codec for the Open Web they advocate, and it looks like they cannot tell yet.

But maybe they just have the same stance on it as Vimeo has:
"The simple fact is right now h264 allows us the most flexibility to display on many devices and many players with the same file. When that changes, so will we. That's all there is to it, thanks for your understanding!"
http://www.vimeo.com/blog:268

Google might be able to release a royalty-free On2 codec, and an efficient h264-to-that-codec converter. This will probably be an attractive alternative for everyone once h264 licenses get more expensive.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Interesting comment on their blog post:

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2010/01/introducing-youtube-html5-supported.html?showComment=1264295414950#c6587273576593039769

<<Mutiny32 said...

I'm guessing it's a strategic move by Google to make On2 squirm about their buyout. Let me explain. On2 is the creator of the VP3 video codec. Theora is based off of the free VP3 codec.

Right now, On2 is holding out to get a better buyout deal from Google. Of course, neither side wants to budge on terms. Google could push something like VP7 or VP8 as say, Theora 2.0 if they owned On2.

But, going against their motto of "don't be evil," Google is trying to devalue On2's perceived worth by only using H.264, the competing codec in their HTML5 push on YouTube. This makes it more likely that On2 will cave and agree to lesser terms because they can see their future going down the drain due to the widespread adoption of H.264. Don't forget, they license their VP6 and VP7 codecs to Adobe for Flash video. When Flash loses dominance, their license agreement is worthless.

So, I perceive it to be Google doing evil to scare a company into their demands in the acquisition.

One problem, Some people will accuse Google of using underhanded tactics and being evil, like I am. Google is being evil.

Give us the OPEN standard option and we won't start an Internet war that ends with Google losing face with the open standards community. They are your most important asset. Remember, Android, Chrome, and ALL of your servers use open-licensed software and open standards. You dominate the market because you chose to embrace open-licensed initiatives. Don't betray all of those whose software, technologies, and licenses are your bread-and-butter. You WILL be stonewalled by that community, we are a fickle bunch.

January 23, 2010 5:10 PM>>

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!