Google Blogoscoped

Forum

How Fast Do Friendfeed Results Appear in Google Web Search?  (View post)

STUFF [PersonRank 0]

Monday, January 25, 2010
14 years ago6,039 views

Without running at least one subsequent test, there's no way of knowing whether you just got lucky and caught it at the right time.

Better yet would be running several subsequent tests at different times of day for at least a week.

randomwalker [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I just tried it, it took about 1 minute. Looks like you got a little lucky.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Stuff, you are right, this was by far nothing representative. I'd enjoy if others posted their results, too. Not sure which factors all play in here!

Tzib [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Nothing representative but cool stuff though!

Are you gonna try with other Google’s special partners?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I once posted on twitter about something and immediately Googled it and it showed up in the Real-Time results section straight away

Daniel Gayo-Avello [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Not an experiment on its own but just another piece of anecdotal evidence.

Google seems to index URLs appearing on Twitter (not only the tweets themselves) on a matter of minutes.

After announcing a new blog post on my tweet feed, Googlebot visited that post in a few minutes, and that post appeared as a "common" result (not RT) almost inmediately.

Nick Spacek [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

They should just get Twitter and FriendFeed to publish to a PubSubHubbub for search engines. :)

Adam Audette [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

It gets indexed because Friendfeed creates permalinks for updates eg http://friendfeed.com/philipp/c00da2cd/this-is-unique-sentence-with-number-321192301 and these get crawled easily as unique URLs.

Adam Audette [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Oh sorry – "how FAST" ... I'm a scanner. Didn't catch that :)

pubhubsubbub baby!

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

13 seconds isn't too shabby. Most major search engines aren't that fast. :)

EL [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Matt,

Are you saying that Google is faster than those whiz kids mentioned in the article below?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14242473

Jeremy Norman [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

EL,

You are mistaken. The whiz kids are all at Google :-)

My ex-Googler friends with knowledge about their real time feeds tell me this was started by two guys as a 20% project.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!