Google Blogoscoped

Forum

No native RSS for Chrome

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, January 26, 2010
14 years ago2,670 views

<<We originally intended to include RSS support by default as a native feature of GoogleChrome (and we still might in the future) but we decided instead to implement this asan extension. This decision was made based on our philosophy of trying to limitourselves to adding only the UI features that a vast majority of users need and alloweach user to customize the browsers to fit their needs with Extensions. Given thatmost people are not familiar with and don't consume RSS feeds, we thought that RSSsupport would be a better fit as an extension, at least to begin with.

Another reason to close this bug is because I think many people who starred the bugare simply interested in knowing how they can view RSS feeds in the browser, and notnecessarily interested in the technical details of whether this is implementednatively vs. as an extension or whether it is shipped by default with Chrome or not.

Those of you who just want to view RSS feeds and subscribe to them in Chrome can usethe first link in this comment to install it. Note: currently Extensions are onlyavailable to Chrome 4.0 and higher (which at the time of this writing means installingthe Google Chrome Beta on Linux and Google Chrome Dev on the Mac – although soon thiswill make it to the stable channel for all platforms, not just Windows).>>

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=84#c149

Cookie Lee [PersonRank 9]

14 years ago #

This is not a good decision in my opinion: Some people who are not familiar with installing extensions may need this feature!

To avoid cluttering the interface, I think they can simply make a option in the settings page to allow users to hide the icon (just like what they done for the home button). Star this issue and make Google change their decision:
   http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=33181

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!