Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Podcast: File Swap, Digg's Kevin Rose and more  (View post)

vjkal [PersonRank 0]

Friday, January 13, 2006
18 years ago

The MP3 file name contains "2005" instead of "2006".

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Fixed, thanks!

orli yakuel [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

excellent podcast.
10 million dollar ... Be careful what you wish for :)

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Downloading and ready to enjoy it.Thanks Philipp.

Alexandre [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

There is a RSS feed for this podcast?

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nice accent.

What software did you use to record it?

18 years ago #

Alex, I'm using RSS enclosures in the main RSS feed. So whenever there's a podcast, it will be enclosed in the main feed. Hope that's good enough. If not, I might rethink this and do a secondary RSS.

Ionut, that's my German accent :)
Actually yesterday I've bought a small MP3 player/ recorder called "TrekStor i.Beat organix". So I can take it, speak and walk around. It saves directly as MP3 and has a USB cable, so it's very easy. On the desktop I then used Audacity to combine the Momus song and the podcast, which was recorded in one go.

18 years ago #

PS: If anyone wants to send me MP3 pieces, quotes from other podcasts, your Google questions, or whatever you can think of, I might incorporate it in a future podcast!

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Philipp:

Interesting podcast, but I didn't really get anything from it that I hadn't already read on the blog (except for your opinions about the wbsite design on Digg and Slashdot).

If you were to make this podcast something entirely different from the blog, with different stories and/or the features you mention in your post above, it would be awesome!

BTW, I was able to get the podcast in iTunes by simply subscribing to the main feed. iTunes disregards all text-only feed elements and will only show the posts with enclosures and then download the enclosures. The only problem with leaving your podcasts in the main feed only is that it only contains the last 10 posts. If you post 10 times (which will likely happen 2 days or less, at your rate) after the podcast, its post will no longer be in the main feed. Then, if someone hasn't checked Blogoscoped from their podcatcher in the last couple of days, they'll miss the show.

18 years ago #

Brad, I'm somewhat undecided right now between "don't let those who can't listen to my blog (e.g. who only visit here from work) miss out on any items" and "give those who like to read the blog plus hear the podcast more original content so they won't be bored." So the first podcast was somewhat inbetween. Also somewhat for the guy who doesn't have time reading along a lot, but who spends maybe 1 hour in the car in the morning looking for something to listen to. But you are right, I should probably have more original podcast content. Maybe by continuing to play around with this, I find a type of content that's more fitting to voice-only. I can say it's a lot of fun already, and if people like it, I will continue to experiment with this.

As for the podcasts being pushed out of the main RSS feed, I could try to keep them seperately – e.g. the last 3 items at the bottom of the RSS, main posts above it, would be podcasts...

Brad [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Phillip, I will certainly continue to subscribe and look forward to your further podcast experiments.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to have items in your RSS feed that are deliberately out of chronological order. Maybe increase the number of items in the feed, if you want to keep just one RSS URL? Otherwise, I would suggest having a separate feed with just the podcasts (but still keep them inline in the blog). This is what Leo Laporte does with his 5 podcasts and blog over at thisweekintech.com, and I think it works pretty well.

Mark [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Check out this post about problems with the AdWords Budget Optimizer: http://www.outclicked.com/2006/01/adwords-budget-optimizer-is-it.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!