Forum

About Google Books settlement in court

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Friday, February 19, 2010
14 years ago2,632 views

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10456382-261.html

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Instead of posting naked links like that, do you think you could summarize or highlight some specific aspect(s) of the item/ event in question?

14 years ago #

Always when it's possible.

From the begining of the referenced article:

"The disparate and dissenting constituencies that showed up to federal court here on Thursday to comment on Google's plan to create a digital library illustrated just how polarizing and far reaching the effort has become.

The gallery at the federal court house here filled not one but two rooms (one room watched the proceedings via close-circuit TV). Foreign dignitaries squeezed onto benches with cane-wielding advocates for the blind, college professors, literary agents, authors of children's books, and, of course, lots and lots of lawyers.
...."

Last September's coverage:
'US Justice Dept. Urges to Reject Google Books Settlement'
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2009-09-19-n62.html

ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Yes...., and? I know you can copy/paste, but where's the insight you wanted us to partake in? (Don't expect us to telepathically read you mind from afar; it only works in close proximity to recently deceased, and you're not dead the way it looks to me).

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ian, let's all work together here to create that insight :)
What's your take on the story?

ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

What, a negotiated insight? (You've been drinking the collective Chinese Cool-Aid for too long). You know what it would be worth in terms of public enlightenment. This particular story didn't advance my state of knowledge of the Googlean book settlement, which is why I tried to ascertain whether I missed something truly IOTTMCO http://google.com/search?q=IOTTMCO

Isn't that the way we grown-ups are supposed to go about growing up, by challenging one another to speak clearly and contribute own thoughts rather than merely parrot those of others?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ian, if I understand it correctly Juha is ofte posting from the mobile phone, which may not allow proper copy and pasting. Hence we can help filling up missing pieces by contributing them ourelves, too, as teamwork... what do you think? I also think it's better to post with a snippet, but some browsers/ medium may not allow this, like certain mobile phones... what I usually do in these cases is to add the snippet here when I come across the pasted link.

14 years ago #

Philipp is right, the mobile browser is the only reason :(

Sometimes it's possible to provide a snippet during some hours, but depending of the day sometimes not.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!