Google Blogoscoped

Forum

EU rattles sabre at Street View

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Friday, February 26, 2010
14 years ago2,490 views

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/26/eu_street_view/

From the article:

"The head of EU data protection agencies has told Google it must warn people of the impending arrival of its Orwellian Street View spymobiles.

According to AP, Alex Turk has written to Google's data privacy chief Peter Fleischer insisting that it "should always give advance notice on its website and in the local or national press before it takes pictures".

It must also avoid capturing snaps "of a sensitive nature and those containing intimate details not normally observable by a passer-by".
...."

vortex [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

and meanwhile in London we have cctv cameras everywhere

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

A lovely comment from the article:

<< This answers exactly my issue with Streetview. A year ago I got an email from a cousin telling me he could see my house on Street view. Google had bloody well come down my street without any warning and taken a photo of my house and put it the internet for all those who are interested in peeping at my house (i.e. extended family)!

The drive was a mess with weeds pushing through the cracks in the pavement and the rose bushes REALLY needed pruning. If Google had warned me they were coming I would have tided the place up a bit. What is really needed is a law whereby I can insist Google come back and take a new photo after I have had a chance to give the fence a new lick of paint. >>

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

> It must also avoid capturing snaps "of a sensitive nature
> and those containing intimate details not normally observable
> by a passer-by"

Much of the UK is served by double-decker buses, and a passer-by can see a LOT more from the top deck of the bus than from Google Street View.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Related:

'Where is Street View':
http://www.google.co.uk/help/maps/streetview/where-is-street-view.html

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"This information shows a sample of the areas in which our cars are currently operating."

Somehow, I don't think that "a sample" will make Google's critics happy.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!