Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Acquires Online Image Editing Tool Picnik  (View post)

RiyAndroid [PersonRank 8]

Monday, March 1, 2010
14 years ago5,352 views

<<Google has just acquired Picnik, a popular web-based image editing software. The sale was announced on the Picnik blog.

Picnik, which first started in 2005, has become a popular online alternative to image editing software such as Photoshop. While not as feature rich as its desktop counterparts, its user experience, simplicity, and upbeat design have helped it gain nearly 2 million monthly U.S. visitors, according to Compete.>>

http://blog.picnik.com/2010/03/google-acquires-picnik/

http://mashable.com/2010/03/01/google-acquires-online-image-editing-tool-picnik/

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/google-welcomes-picnik.html

Above 2 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I am definitely to any actual development on this on google's side :) Although I myself only use the aviary editing suite and the single time I tried picnic it seemed kinda simplistic in comparison, though it isn't entirely fair to compare the two.

Post scriptum:
   Incredible, a bit over half an hour ago I opened blogoscoped that I would post this and as my internet failed me I forgot about it and now there is whole blog post and two comments :P

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Nice tool, didn't know Picnik. I gave it at shot and noticed some cool effects like puzzel effect, neon, night vision, heat map, etc.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

They might as well get discontinued or neglected like many tools Google has acquired.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Picnik is a really smooth and nicely-implemented online picture editor, one of the most polished products that Google has acquired.

But I had to smile sadly when I read this bit:

“It means we can think BIG. Google processes petabytes of data every day, and with their worldwide infrastructure and world-class team, it is truly the best home we could have found.”

I remember the Blogger team said almost exactly the same thing when they were bought by Google, but for years after that they limped along with very very slow servers and what appeared to be half-hearted commitment from Google.

JW [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

I so called this...

Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:42:32 -0800 (PST)
To: Feedback <feedback[put at-character here]bitnik.com>
Subject: Google Should Buy You

I'm impressed, and surprised you havent been bought out by Google, a very impressive product.

Reply: Thanks! Be sure te tell Larry and Sergey that!

Zim [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Google is taking over Yahoo! one step at a time...

JEShack [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

A web based Picasa – awesome.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!