Google Blogoscoped

Forum

15 YouTube Killer Features of 2025  (View post)

Cookie Lee [PersonRank 9]

Friday, March 5, 2010
14 years ago6,376 views

"...Filmmaker is an app sitting in the browser, with no further downloads necessary, thanks to the power of HTML9."

Hmm,

HTML 4 -> 1999
   HTML 5 -> 2010?
   HTML 9 -> ...?

Anas [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Impressive...
These list of features would have sounded impossible just a few years ago, but it seems like the google computer engine can handle everything and the google engineers dont want to know if it can be done but rather how it can be done..

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

We will be lucky to have HTML5 by 2025...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Google also will have an algorithm that turns every Wikipedia article into a YouTube video. It analyses the text and builds the video by automatically combining fragments of other movies with computer-generated video, graphics and automatic sound.

Not Philipp [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

YouTube How it can be Made

What it is: Short informative clips styled after the TV series "How It’s Made". The clips describe in detail anything that can ever be made in the future.

How it works: The millions of patents available via Google Patents were broken into "atomic" components. Search engine queries and e-mail content stored by Google for decades were used to generate all of possible things people can think of. An AI driven moviemaker created the short clips using product descriptions, images and videos from Google search and storage services.

The series is credited with inventing the highly popular "Apparatus for Scentless Brown Nosing", the potentially illegal "Method of Spear-Phishing using a Webcam Site" and spam things such as "A System to Hide Lawyers at Twitter HQ" but its greatest success is in describing what was already in use but not recognized by many. A notable example is the "A Method for Creating Prior Art using Futuristic Blog Posts".

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Point 9 is something youtube might actually make soon enough, after all, the idea is not as server intensive as e.g. the captioning (provided you first make possible matches from the related videos or something) and gives quite an interesting user experience.

Either way, awesome list, although most seem to be quite unrealistic, some are definitely interesting finds. Aside of that, 2D ->3D video algorithms are already patented by various tv builders, I heard these algorithms are preforming relatively well, although they mess up entirely at least once each movie and you only get an approximate depth, not sharp corners or anything like that :/

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

14 years ago #

The idea of "smellovision" for the Web has been proposed, both jokingly and occasionally even seriously, a number of times, but I don't think any working implementation has ever been released. If one can decompose smells into a combination of "primary odors" similar to primary colors, and create artificial sources of these odors, then it could in theory be accomplished.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Dan, years ago I read something in Wired about an actual hardware solution to this. Perhaps it was a prototype, it apparently never took off – anybody knows more?

> HTML 9 -> ...?

Cookie, if Google ever controls the whole distribution chain (Network, OS, Browser, Web app), their PR department might decide iterating version numbers quickly is beneficial :)

14 years ago #

From Wired:

"Web Product That Makes Scents"
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/1999/10/31909

Prototypes of smell-o-vision get trotted out on a regular basis, and those who've tried it say the experience really isn't compelling.

The closest I've come to experiencing it was a niche cinema in Sydney that boiled a pot of garlic in the corner of the auditorium to set the scene during screenings of an Italian movie.

MxxCon [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

1. YouTube Super Zoom
i think that'll happen much sooner than 2025. I can see this start happening in the next 2 years and as time goes on it'll become more accurate.

4. YouTube 3D Rotation
this I also can see happening much sooner than 2025.
With projects like Photosynth, Panoramio and Google Goggles, this can happen in the next 2-3 years.

7. YouTube’s Filmmaker
"HTML9" might not happen by 2025.
According to the current timeline the final html5 spec won't be finalized until 2022, yes 2022. :D

8. YouTube’s GeoFilter
i don't see why it'll take to 2025 to implement this. it's possible to do with the current technology. i just don't think Google do anything to support Govt's censorship and repression.

9. YouTube Change the Cam
again, something like this can/will happen much sooner than 2025.

Zacqary Adam Green [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Number 3 is probably closest to being possible right now, though it's unlikely to be remixed from older film score audio. It would probably be synthesized by a music-theory educated AI, which, by the way, already exists and has passed a Turing test (at least in terms of "was this written by a computer?"): http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/09/virtual-composer-makes-beautiful-musicand-stirs-controversy.ars

ldii [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

It's quite futuristic. What we really need now that Youtube multiply it's capacity in accepting video size and length. We have very large file in my site [ldii-sidoarjo.org] but we aren't able to connect it with Youtube.

Nate Whilk [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I wish they would add variable speed, or at least a 1.4x speed up to get through long videos faster. Bloggingheads has this; why not YouTube and other video sites? For now, I download long videos and use VLC.

Enounce has "MySpeed" which does this, but only the trial period is free.

milivella [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Brilliant! Thanks.

Qrczak [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Variable speed is already available in the html5 version of YouTube.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Things #3 and #8 can be true within 3-4 years....

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Meanwhile... www.youtube.com/watch5?enable=1

[url fixed – roger]

Marjan [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Hey, I just want to watch videos.

MellowYellow [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

How to have html5:
Google puts on their website their way of doing HTML5 and says f*** off to w3c

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]MellowYellow: can you give some more details of your concerns?

HTML5 is implemented within the browser, so Google works within the constraints of what is supported by the browsers.

In some cases, they could go further than they have (e.g. supporting the Theora codec on Firefox). Is that your concern?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!