Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google streetview UK - 95 per cent coverage tommorow

justinf [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 11, 2010
14 years ago7,029 views

Read about this in the London Evening Standard newspaper this evening – Google streetview in the UK will expand tommorow (March 11th) to 95% UK coverage.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

no word on expansion in other areas. was a short paragraph on the inside pages with no elaboration.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

page 18 , evening standard , full text:

"Google goes that extra mile

Google's street-level imaging service has been extended to cover more than 95 per cent of British roads. From tomorrow, 360 degree pictures from Penzance to the Shetland Islands will go online. Google's Street View service has been available for 25 cities since last March, but the increased coverage makes an additional 210,000 miles of detailed mapping available to the public. Street View images are captured by Google's car, fitted with a panoramic camera on the roof"

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"On Thursday, 11th March Google will increase availability of its Street View service in Google Maps, by adding new imagery covering almost all of the UK's roads, both rural and urban.
People will be able to view and explore 360 degree street-level imagery of places as far North as Shetland and as far South as Penzance; from Pembrokeshire in the West of Wales to Ipswich in the East of England or over the sea to Northern Ireland and many places in between. With this imagery update around 238,000 miles of public road are now available in Street View in the UK. Visit maps.google.co.uk"
it's from Google's press site

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

and it's up now!

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

wow... and yes – finally – you can see my house. the coverage is staggering.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

When will Ireland come out? I've heard similar figures for it's launch

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

"When will Ireland come out? I've heard similar figures for it's launch"

St Patricks Day is March 17th. I would guess that's when Google would launch Streetview Ireland.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I bet Belgium, Ireland and some other countries will be live on April, 8th.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I'm surprised they managed to get along my road, there's usually cars all over the road :P

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Wow, that's amazing coverage.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It looks like my "NoIndex" sign worked, because my street (near the Pegman in this image), is almost the only one in my area that doesn't appear on streetview.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z9bnr5.jpg
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=la14sj&sll=54.030966,-2.795663&sspn=0.010473,0.011759&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Lancaster,+Lancashire+LA14SJ,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=16

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

interesting – there's no coverage of this on the google latlong blog.

are google keeping a low profile?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger show us your sign! Or was this ironic?

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Roger Good job!. You should write an article about that, think many people are interested in that sign :-).

[put at-character here]TOMHTML, why do you expect April 8th?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Because there is a SV update every 3~4 weeks.

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

let the betting begin – my bet – ireland streetview on March 17th patricks day.

Tom is betting on 8th April.
   interesting choice of date Tom – why April 8th? insider info?

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]roger – LOVE the idea of the "NoIndex" sign... or should that really be "NoFollow"?

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

by the way – i live in Hampshire in southern England – and the coverage of Hampshire villages in the countryside is absolutely stunning.

Here's just one example:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.274052,-1.048379&spn=0,359.970946&z=15&layer=c&cbll=51.274639,-1.04486&panoid=nYRA7d7VEgBWCAmiZm9I5A&cbp=12,97.11,,0,4.07

Looks like something that Bilbo Baggins would live in , doesnt it?

Bear in mind that Tolkien took his inspiration for the "Shire" from the English countryside. If you are a Tolkien fan, and not from England, this Streetview update will be like manna from heaven.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

http://i41.tinypic.com/x1j4aq.jpg

Just joking, actually. I would have been very pleased if Google photographed my street. (Photo via a sign generator, and is not me.)

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Haha nice :-)

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Too bad Roger, it would have been fun to see you like that on SV! :-D Then the image would have been censored by Google :-)

[put at-character here]justinf don't trust me so much, every month since October I bet that Belgium will be the next country covered; I fail every time ^^

justinf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

interesting ... google have downplayed the *massive* streetview update for england in favour of the hong kong launch

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010/03/street-view-of-old-and-new.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!