<<Google will soon make its VP8 video codec open source, we’ve learned from multiple sources. The company is scheduled to officially announce the release at its Google I/O developers conference next month, a source with knowledge of the announcement said. And with that release, Mozilla — maker of the Firefox browser — and Google Chrome are expected to also announce support for HTML5 video playback using the new open codec.>>
Next month will be very interesting =]
Haha just realized that this was posted by "AGift2TheSilentNumber" which could be in response to this:
as TheSilentNumber is my main handle on the interwebz xD
Thanks for the gift! I was already aware of this but it's important we keep the pressure on and my idea also suggested handing VP8 over to Xiph if they're liberating it anyways.
Voting is closed now and in just 5 hours we managed to get the #3 spot!
Lets hope this gets to be the official HTML5 <video> standard!
* They liberate it completely, patents and code and all
* Hand it over to Xiph (too good to be true? if they're liberating it as it is, why not?)
* There are no submarine patents that surface
* This becomes the official HTML5 <video> standard
* This becomes a de-facto standard for digital video everywhere!
Seeing "[Thanks AGift2theSilentNumber!]" made me smile haha