free space and counting....

ianf [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, April 15, 2010
14 years ago6,575 views

On Gmail login page
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail

last item in left column states:

[sprite] Lots of space
Over 2757.272164 megabytes (and counting) of free storage.

Does this number represent my account's leftover quota in MB, or some über-figure of 2 petabytes(?) 757 terabytes etc. of cumulative Gmail storage?

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Ianf, I think that number likely represents the total amount of space being offered to new Gmail accounts when that page was originally created. If you have JavaScript enabled (and the correct date settings on your computer) you should see it says something like:

Over 7444.504450 megabytes (and counting) of free storage.

This basically means ~7 GB of free storage where *free* refers to the amount of space you get without paying for additional storage (i.e. "free as in beer") rather than the amount of *available* space in your account.

ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Tony, I know what *free* means, asterisks or not ;-)) I posted it from an older terminal with JS specifically switched off, hence my confusion. With JS reenabled, it currently returns this (a delta of 879 megabytes between your posting 2 minutes ago and mine right now):

> Over 7444.505829 megabytes (and counting) of free storage.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Please note that the period there is where decimal values start! The difference you are talking about, ianf, is only 0.001379 MB, barely 1446 bytes, which is approximately the same amount of characters you see here (the text in your comments in this thread (including this one)).

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!