Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Is Scroogle Quitting?

George R [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, May 12, 2010
4 years ago27,678 views

Scroogle may retire their service. Daniel Brandt says their scraper relies on the google.com/ie interface. They say they are retiring it because Google now redirects it to toolbar/ie8/sidebar.html. My tests indicate that Google ie seems to work fine via a slightly different url.

scroogle notice: scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi
redirected ie: google.com/ie
working ie: google.com/search?btnmeta%3Dse ...

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

4 years ago #

Nice find: add &output=ie to any Google search URL and you get the simplified interface.

George R [PersonRank 10]

4 years ago #

Scroogle seems to be working again.
The notice is gone. Did anyone save a copy?

ianf [PersonRank 10]

4 years ago #

If by save you meant the "Sorry, but we are unable to provide results from Google." scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi page, then I did, just right now. Now, what do I do with it?

George R [PersonRank 10]

4 years ago #

No, there was a different longer page at that address, signed by Daniel Brandt, talking about retiring the service and its past eight years.

George R [PersonRank 10]

4 years ago #

A quote of the text on the page can be found at PCLinuxOS-Forums.
pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php? ...

Some other copies may be found by searching.
google.com/search?num=100& ...

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

4 years ago #

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/05/1 ...

George R [PersonRank 10]

4 years ago #

Scroogle has a link from their error page to a story about their resumption of service. It is by Cade Metz at the register titled "Scroogle scrapes back to life Google screws IE6". theregister.co.uk/2010/05/12/s ...

It says:

"But by Tuesday evening, thanks to some help from a trio of Scroogle users, Brandt was able to replicate his setup via another page – google.com/search – by adding an extra parameter ('&output=ie') to the url. 'It appears that both methods,' Brandt says, meaning the old and the new, 'amount to the same thing.'"

This thread is locked as it's old... but you can create a new thread in the forum. 

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!