Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Recently Acquired Simplified Media

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, May 20, 2010
14 years ago2,506 views

Vic Gundotra just announced at the Google IO keynote that Google recently acquired Simplified Media!

No official announcement on the website yet...

http://www.simplifymedia.com/blog

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

From the Simplify Media linked above blog:

<< An Important Announcement

March 12, 2010

After developing the technology behind Simplify Media for over 4 years, it is time for us to take it in a new direction. In order to focus on this transition, we will no longer be offering the current software to new users. Today we are removing the Simplify iPhone applications from the App Store, and new account creation will be disabled shortly after that. However, existing Simplify accounts and clients will continue to work fine.

We are unable to share our future plans at this time but hope to be able to announce the re-launch of the technology soon. In the meantime, we will continue to operate the existing service for at least the next 3 months. Many thanks to those of you who have supported us and helped us improve Simplify over the last few years! We hope you will enjoy its future incarnations as well.

3/17 update: Account creation has now been disabled, and software downloads have been removed to avoid confusion. As mentioned, existing accounts and clients will continue to work, but the friends capability is no longer supported. While this feature never got as much usage as we had hoped, we do apologize to folks that used it.

What will change about my account?
Existing account holders can continue to use the service and software to access their own music and photos.

Will my account be going away in the future?
We will be announcing future plans at a later date, but we will continue to operate the service for at least the next 3 months.

Can my friends still sign up for accounts?
No. Creation of new accounts has been disabled.

Can I still share things with my friends if I already have an account?
No. All sharing with friends has been disabled.

Will you continue to offer any kind of tech support?
Our support plan is under review, but no change is being made at this time, so email support and web support documentation are still available.

Can I still download the software?
No, downloads have been disabled.

Posted by bill >>

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Sorry, should be "Simplify Media" NOT Simplified Media in the first post and title...can someone fix it?

mbegin [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

TechCrunch posted about this now:

<< The software lets you share your photos and music using programs like iTunes, iPhoto and Windows Media player. According to the startup’s site Simplify Media “connects people directly with their content, without the hassles of synching or uploading all their files. Simplify users can also share their personal media with family and close friends in a private, secure group.”

It appears that that deal may have taken place in March, when the company announced a “new direction” on its blog, discontinuing its software to users and removing its iPhone app from Apple’s App store. Clearly the new direction was over to Google headquarters in Mountain View. Terms of the deal have not been disclosed.

Google VP Vic Gundotra said that Simplify’s technology will be used to offer a desktop app that will give you access to all of your (DRM-free) media on your Android devices remotely, using Google’s new iTunes competitor on the web. >>

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/20/google-buys-simplify-media-to-power-music-syncing-for-new-itunes-competitor

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/20/um-did-google-just-quietly-launch-a-web-based-itunes-competitor-yep

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!