Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google New UI update

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

Friday, May 28, 2010
14 years ago4,551 views

Interesting set up process, local news feature (even though I did remove this section) and trending topics
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UhZZyEVmtlg/S_-LTB4XeLI/AAAAAAAA0xM/NvejAWLSt-A/s800/Screen%20shot%202010-05-28%20at%2011.08.38%20AM.png
But very ugly list of news articles
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UhZZyEVmtlg/S_-LSyiN5EI/AAAAAAAA0xI/ipewESjWUR4/s800/Screen%20shot%202010-05-28%20at%2011.13.07%20AM.png
You have to hover each headline to read its snipet :(

[imagefix ~hebbet]

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

NB: a "g" is missing at the end of my first image URL (.png). Sorry

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Wow, I really hate this and it's probably the worst change I ever had with a Google service.

- It canceled all my personalization
- I can't remove the local news sectio, which must be restrict to a city-level to make sense (very poor quality otherwise)
- I can only have one column. What. The. Fuck?!
- I can't chose how each topic should rank, i.e I'm forced to have the entertainment section above the health one. Hell no!
- I have to hover each headline for about 1 second to get few words about th article. It makes absolutely no sense to wait that long compared to go directly read the article. "Japan Economic Data Worsens – Wall Street Journal – Tomoyuki Tachikawa – ‎3 hours ago‎" How meaningful is this?

Seriously, I have very few reasons to keep using Google News.
Why would the users want such changes??

<<I would encourage everybody, think in terms of what your reader wants. These are ultimately consumer businesses and if you piss off enough of them, you will not have any more.>> Eric Schmidt, Google Chairman and CEO

Fr [PersonRank 3]

14 years ago #

This UI is not activated for everyone.
Can you provide us the URL to see if there is some particular parameters to activate it ?

TIA.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!