Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Forward no longer possible?

Christian Lund [PersonRank 2]

Tuesday, June 8, 2010
14 years ago8,634 views

When I create a filter I used to be able to choose Forward to: (and then enter an email address). This does not seem to be possible any longer.

The forward now has a dropdown of addresses and a link to Manage your forwarding addresses, but clicking the link does not allow you to add new addresses – instead it says "Tip: You can also forward only some of your mail by creating a filter!". Vicious circle?

...or am I missing something?

14 years ago #

Seems the options is there but fairly well hidden.

The option "Add new email address..." is at the bottom of the dropdown for the option "Forward a copy of incoming mail to".

This is a bit odd since selecting it is an indication that I want to forward all my mail and by default "Disable forwarding" is selected.

It seems to me that this option should be in the dropdown on the filter page, which is where you need it.

14 years ago #

This feature seems to be really buggy. When I selected "Add new email address..." a dialogue appeared. I typed in the email address and clicked Confirm. Nothing happened.

I closed the dialogue and added it again, then got an error saying it had already been added. After reloading Gmail I saw the new email on the forwarding list, but it was not grouped with the other forward contacts.

I tried to create a new filter and the recipient was not in the list of forwarding contacts.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone who can get this to work.

ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Verified forwarding has been there for a while now. Apparently Google wants to prevent spamming masquerading as bona-fide forwards.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!