Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google says China has renewed Web page license

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Friday, July 9, 2010
13 years ago9,927 views

<< Google Inc said on Friday that the Chinese authorities had renewed its license to operate a website, averting a potential shutdown of its flagship search page in the world's biggest Internet market.

"China has renewed our license," a Google spokeswoman told Reuters. "We are very pleased that the government has renewed our ICP license and we look forward to continuing to provide web search and local products to our users in China." >>

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCATRE6676L220100709

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

If you go to Google China
http://google.cn/
and click on the search box, you find that it's a fake search box and you get taken to the Google Hong Kong home page.

I don't understand why the Chinese authorities would refuse to renew Google China's license if it redirects automatically to Google Hong Kong, yet would renew the license if it redirects to Google Hong Kong when the user tries to enter text into the Google China search box.

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

They just renewed their censorship. Google Hong Kong has censored results as well. I've written about it but Blogoscoped is blocking the URL so I can't link it.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

OK, problem cleared for now. Let's talk again about that in one year, when Google will have to renew its license...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Tadeusz, what type or URL is causing problems? You can email it to me or try repost it here with some obfuscation added. (For what it's worth, some tinyURL services are blocked here.)

Tadeusz Szewczyk [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

seoptimise.com
Sadly it's down right now. Maybe some people didn't like my opinion on the censorship issue ;-)

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!