Google Blogoscoped

Forum

German Street View in the Netherlands

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
13 years ago3,746 views

Google messed up in a little way. In Maps, when going to a certain Dutch place Google shows pictures of a German city a reader pointed out to me. Some screenshots here:

http://www.websonic.nl/nieuws/google-street-view-toont-duitse-beelden-in-rijssen-8959

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

How do you know it's in Germany?

13 years ago #

Good question :-), I needed to be sure of course before publishing and I wanted to know which German city it was so I did some research.

First when you are in the Dutch City and move forward you get a complete different picture. So different that you are not in the same place anymore (also compare the little map in the corner)

Then you see a German bus stop and German street signs, which are totally different then our Dutch ones.

On the street sign you can read: "Gladiolenstraße", wich is German and on the bussign you can read "Op dem Dümmer" which is also German.

There is a van parked from Monkey Dammermann which is a German name and power tuning thingy company :-). (you can Google that) You also see a store named Kania which has a German text on the windows.

Last but not least, the blurred car plates are white, Dutch ones are yellow.

I then found Marl as the city where this al takes place and I went to Bing Maps. Luckily for me Bing Maps offers Birds View images for that region. So you compare Bing and Street View and conclude that you are watching the same area.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

lol
i found it today too. and yes that is germany.

i mailed with german spokeman, he will inform the team. it is a mistake.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

If I understand the linked blog post correctly there are screenshots, not actual links to Street View Netherlands?
I have to say very cool finfing!

13 years ago #

[put at-character here]Juha I've made screenshots from Street View Netherlands and placed them in the blogpost. This in case Google takes it offline :-).

13 years ago #

Eh, Google already removed the images :-).

13 years ago #

Lol: Google wasn't very thorough, not all German images are removed!

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

All images gone here.

13 years ago #

Hmm, still seeing them here in other streets in Rijssen.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

found it:
http://go.gglwat.ch/dcK9t9

i mailed google again.

13 years ago #

Yes, there are a lot more. Not going to some them up all.

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Google is working on it and will check the images

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!