Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
13 years ago13,696 views

More at

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/20/new_google_images/

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

FR-TLC [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Just noticed the new Google Images layout. Love it already.

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

From the source article:

"Google has revamped its image search service, rolling out a spruced-up interface and a new breed of image ad meant to dovetail with "organic" results.

Designed to "make it easy to look at more images at once," the new interface uses a tiled layout that eliminates all that white space that turned up on the old version of Google Images.
...."

pointing to http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/ooh-ahh-google-images-presents-nicer.html

too.

Belko [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Sorry, but that's just bad design. The address of the image and its resolution is something that I have to see at once. Having to point the mouse over every single image is just brain-dead.

Wasn't there an entire Nielsen column dedicated to the reasons why hiding information until somebody points a mouse over something is just wrong.

</rant>

mark miller [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

All Google did was copy Bing. I do not use Bing because of its
weak design and function. If this is the best Google can do its time
to move on.

Disbelief [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

I just cannot believe Google has messed up this badly. The end of the world is nigh.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

When you scroll way down to the end of the page, there is a link named "Switch to basic version", which gets back the old version with immediately visible context. I will update the post to add this bit...

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Yes noticed that too but it's not very clever that you have to scroll down 15 pages before getting to the link...... It should be in the leftbar or something.

You can also add "&sout=1" to the URL

Sarah. [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

This is a piss-poor design that screws over people with slow internet connections.

Thomas [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

I love it.
It's much better than the old one.

student [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

hey i reckon the new version is stupid i hate it
it screws everything up!!

sux [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Dude this new layout sucks im switching to the old one
srry but they really failed on this one

justinf [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

not good.

switched to basic view.

are google on a mission to make themselves utterly irrelevant? seems like it. seems to me that the google folks are too busy with android, and not paying attention to their core.

anyone else still hate the new google search layout? yeah i do too – i want my basic google back.

RSP [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

This article was written by a genuine Kommissar. The writer simply parrots whatever Google's spokesperson yammers in his ear. Everyone who isn't braindead can see how much this layout sucks. Also, the whole bit about scrolling half-way to Peru to hit a button that will unruin the page is specious. First, you have to do that each time you open google to search. Second, the layout it gives you is NOT the old layout. The thumbnails look smaller to my eye, and the URL and text often jut out way past the pic which screws up the layout.

Also, I clearly don't use the search the same way as the "author", because I almost always want to see the webpage the image came from for any number of reasons. Now I have an extra step involved. WONDERFUL!
It hurts me dearly to say it, but RIP Google.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I guess the new layout is not optimised for people like us, but for the masses who are not interested in anything other than the picture.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> Also, I clearly don't use the search the same way as
> the "author", because I almost always want to see
> the webpage the image came from for any number
> of reasons. Now I have an extra step involved. WONDERFUL!

RSP, if you read my post, you will notice I actually didn't say whether or not I like the new search result layout, such as the hidden URLs. The only thing I mentioned I liked was the layout you'll see when you click through to a page, i.e. the center image overlaid over a gray background of the actual page. I didn't voice any particular opinion on the new result page (I too sometimes need the URLs, so it's harder to say yet whether this being more Bing like helps or hurts in the long run, in most cases). Rest assured that when I write that a Google service is getting more "Bing like", it is not necessarily meant as compliment.

As for writing whatever a Google spokesperson said, well, what I do is usually to first write my post as a draft and only later look at whatever Google might have written on the subject (to expand the article with new bits and pieces if needed), as that helps keeps the gut feeling, and it helps not subconsciously echoing what Google writes.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!