Google Blogoscoped

Forum

GTalk iPhone web clip

Jack Canto [PersonRank 0]

Sunday, August 15, 2010
13 years ago9,840 views

When I create a web clip for Google Talk on my iPhone, it doesn't behave like every other one does. For Gmail, it'll open Safari and display the browser chrome. For GTalk, it doesn't show the browser at all.

This is somewhat of a desirable effect if you have a webapp for the iPhone. Anyone know how this is done?

Q [PersonRank 2]

13 years ago #

Yes, with <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

See http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/appleapplications/reference/safarihtmlref/articles/metatags.html

Not sure why Google doesn't do this for all their web apps (or have it user-configurable). Maybe Android doesn't support the meta tag?

Ryan Hefner [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Hey Jack, I wanted to know this too and I created a bookmarklet for the iPhone to make it happen. Just visit whatever site you want to add, execute the bookmarklet and then add it to the homescreen. All it does it adds that tag that Q mentioned to the HTML.

javascript:ai%3Ddocument.createElement('meta');ai.setAttribute('name','apple-mobile-web-app-capable');ai.setAttribute('content','yes');document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(ai);alert('Click the %2B icon to add your icon to the Home Screen.');

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!