Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Add Notes to Any Page with MyStickies  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Friday, January 20, 2006
18 years ago

from a commercial standpoint, it has no value (yet). for a developer(s) this is a kewl tool to have espeically when doing UI strategies and design User Experiences... No email loop , just slap a sticky note on the screen virtually...!!

Ari Moore [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Awesome. This reminds me of "Notes" in Flickr, another way for people to comment on and discuss a photo. You're right, it does need sharing enabled somehow.

orli yakuel [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

To bad it's supported only mozilla firefox browser :(
but it looks like a very cool and useful extension!

Aaron Pratt [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I don't know about your stickies but my stickies sounds kinda icky.

Ewww...

Jason Coleman [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This has some use. I've noticed one thing that is a little annoying. A number of pages that use a relatively large value of z-index, the stickies will appear under some page elements. For instance, the header on Digg's site or any panel on a Protopage site. Seems like the folks at MyStickies should use something like a z-index of 10^9.

I suppose I could just give them some feedback rather than just post this on a blog...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Jason, if the MyStickies creator subscribed to a Google News alert on "mystickies" he will see your comment :)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yeah I agree with Philipp, bind sticker with RSS

yhancik [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

ah yes, it immediately reminded me of Thirdvoice

there's http://www.wikalong.org, that does something similar, in a wiki-way

(oh and it reminds me of http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2004_09_07_index.html#109459555823400238 ;))

dbevfat [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

This looks great, just the thing I've been looking for for some time. Too bad it needs an account – that's the only reason why I'm not installing it. Why exactly is that? I am sure firefox extensions can save data to disk and I can surely do without a remote login page that keeps my bookmarks.

Andrew [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Fancy-shmancy and oh so cool, but I really don't see it getting used.

First of all, you're telling me that in order to keep that bookmark in memory I have to keep that silly note on the webpage for-ever? No way. Nice proof of concept, but it'll die quickly.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Dbevfat, if sharing is just around the corner (like the site says) then they will need your data... I guess you could still use it for public notes only and nothing private (unless you completely trust the creator and his server).

Derek, Andriesian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

team = 2 of us..very part time

we decided to make it web based for the same reason any other web app is web based so you could use it at work, home school wherever. There are some features missing and there are some bugs but we were mainly concerned with getting it out there then fixing and adding based on feedback. We have an IE extention in the works and a Safari extention being developed.

Andrew, Since we have no overhead and the only thing we have spent money on is server + bandwidth we can support it ourselves pretty easily so we are in no immediate threat of going under if we cant generate profit.

The reason I decided to make mystickies was not so much to annotate webpages publicly, but rather to store/organize my own information. I have alot of ideas about various things that hit me at work and generally what I would do was email myself a message.. I also would use del.icio.us alot to store links I found but alot of times I wanted to combine the two.. anyway thats not a great explanation but personally I have gotten alot of value out of the mystickies in the last few months for research and mostly with the sticky page feature.

Payton Ross [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Want to get better thumbshots, yry using the girafa free yhumbshots service, it is much comprehensive and updated.

burne [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The creator of stickies seems to expect me to give him personal data without showing me anything vaguely like a AUP or privacy-statement.

I can't see how anybody smart enough to read this site could be so immensely stupid as to start handing out privacy-sensitive data without knowing anything about the product, their creators, the data they collect and the way they will use that data.

spock [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

So I made the account public with the password public. Use it and everyone has public access to notes. Well, until someone changes the password. Maybe the creator will lock the password on that account ;-)

-- Logical!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!