Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Forum RSS

Michael Fagan [PersonRank 3]

Thursday, August 26, 2004
19 years ago

I'd like to see each item in the RSS feed be a a thread rather that post, with that item updated so that it's description has the text of the latest post(s) in that thread.

Any chance of that?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Do you mean that a single RSS item should contain the whole thread (with the full text of all posts within it)? I just want to make sure I understand what you mean.

19 years ago #

Not the whole thread, unless the thread is maybe 3 posts or less. However I don't think a new item should be generated for each new post, only for each new thread. A new post on an existing thread should update an existing item.

The item could show perhaps the first and last posts, or the first post and then "see # replies", with # updated.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

OK, I could just show new threads and nothing else. Even if I would change the description of older threads (the number of replies) and newsreader apps would notice this difference (do they?) this would still leave the problem of older threads which would be pushed down and out of the RSS. At the moment in the forum, I push up everything that saw a reply because it means it's important/ contains new information/ new discussion.

If you have some more ideas... I'm not reading the forum via RSS myself so I'm glad for feedback on its usability. It might be RSS can't be tailored to fit a discussion forum 100%, or I'm just seeing problems where there are none...

19 years ago #

Well I think most newreaders understand GUID, so even if the items are in a different order (threads with new posts at the top), if the same thread shows up, it should register as an updated item, not new one.

Of course, I haven't actually tried any of this.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!