Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Where is Philipp et al?

Ash [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, September 14, 2010
13 years ago32,494 views

How come there've been blog posts about Instant and some other Google News. Is everyone on vacation?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I'm still regularly checking out the forum but haven't been blogging for quite some time, it's true. I'm currently working almost exclusively on two-player "face to face" iPad games. These days, I almost get a feeling that Google is covered so well by so many sources in near real-time already that you need to be very very quick or very very in-depth if you want to try add value. This was very different in 2003 when this blog was started – when Google didn't even have a single blog of their own, and when many mainstream news took days to report on anything about Google, and often didn't report on it at all! I should probably sum up my feelings in a blog post itself one day :)

The forum, being a true multi people effort, I think is great... it can be very fast and give a great overview, thanks to all of you.

Sometimes I'm wondering if the forum should be put at the URL blogoscoped.com instead of slash-forum?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I – and probably many people here – completely agree with your first paragraph.

que [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Yeah, I find most Google news on Techmeme, Techcrunch or Google OS. now. They do a great job of breaking news and provide in-depth coverage.

And, I agree with your suggestion about possibly putting the forum on the main page. It would get more visibility and maybe more usage too. The forum is always the first page I visit on this site.

Also, I've always liked the "Blogs 'n More" page for a great summary of official blogs and some others. Sometimes, small posts are not covered elsewhere, so this page is an easy place to discover them.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

The forum is only a click away from the home page. It's usually good to keep URLs stable.

And what if some really interesting development occurs, and you want to start pumping news on the front page again?

Ben [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Please Philipp, please keep writing your awesome 20% posts, they totally rock!

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

13 years ago #

Philipp – you're on the right track, but remember, the homepage doesn't have to be either-or .. it can be both-and!

Here's what I mean: instead of figuring the homepage can be the blog or the forum, let the homepage be a 50-50 vertical split showing both simultaneously. The interface might need tweaks for usability, but I believe this is the best path.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

How about this suggestion (which admittedly would take quite a bit of programming):

On every Forum page, people who are high-PR contributors see an extra input box, which they can edit wiki-like. Whatever is in that box becomes a front-page article. That way, every good forum thread can spawn an article.

que [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Another suggestion going along with the hybrid theme from Trogdor...

Maybe instead of splitting the main page vertically, split it horizontally with the only the latest blog post at the top of the page with a snippet from the post, then a link to the actual post on the main blog page.

Below that, have the main forum board with the first link always associated to the latest blog post above it – which might encourage more comments about the post too.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

It would be a shame to see the blog go, but in the last year I've been reading the posts less as I've already had the same reports from others (Sometimes only minutes before) in Google Reader.

I'd be intrigued to see if a Wiki style blog could work..... you know, Wave would be prefect for that :P

Juha-Matti Laurio [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

And if we want new readers and feed subscribers we don't start a new thread every time when there is a new improvement released to Google Docs or Picasa, people can read those via Blogs 'n More section.

And maybe we need own special (from positive perspective) section for Doodle's and new Favicon's =)

Monk [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

You've built up a well respected brand that you shouldn't give up to easily.

Some ideas, if you don't have time:
- Switch from daily news to weekly editorials with more insightful information
- Run a competition for guest blog posts
- Invite guest bloggers
- Republish some insightful posts from others at least on a weekly basis.

13 years ago #

Very good points, especially #1 and #4!!

13 years ago #

I really don't want to read: Google Blogoscoped *was* a blog... from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Blogoscoped

DPic [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Philipp, IIRC welcomes guest posts? We could submit pieces that are newsworthy

13 years ago #

In the past years I did try to make co-blogging or guest-blogging work but somehow it didn't work out... hmmm, I'm not sure why.

DPic [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

If i write a worthy piece, will you post it? =]

13 years ago #

We have a new post

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2010-09-17-n17.html

13 years ago #

DPic, sure, please send it in!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!