Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Say What!? - An HTML5 speech game  (View post)

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

Monday, September 27, 2010
13 years ago25,561 views

Last thursday I attended Madrid's Google Devfest and one of the things I liked the most was one of the latest additions to Google Chrome, the speech attribute on the input fields. It allows to fill form fields using the microphone (without Flash!) and Google technology for speech recognition.

I wanted to play a little with the techonology so I created a game as a weekend project. It shows you one random title from a Wikipedia article (using its API) and asks you to read it aloud so it can compare what you said with the given phrase. Since Google speech recognition is far from perfect (specially if you have a non-US accent) the results may vary, but I think it's funny anyway.

You can try it at http://nekojs.com/html5/speech.html but you'll need one of the latest Chrome builds in order to test it (and I think it only works on Mac and Windows right now).

Since I know that some of you like this kind of games on the web I hope you can give me some feedback and ideas for improving.

Thanks!

Above 1 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Adys [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

It's fun; a few things:
- It's impossible to say titles with acronyms (NCIS => n c i s)
- It's impossible to say titles with non-ascii letters in the name (piraña, ...)

CvX! [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

Well, that was fun. :P

"Ruská Vo a nad Popradom"

You said: "list of montana orgasm" Ummmmmmfff! (30%)
well, let's try again..
"hoosegow volcano adam" 26%
"risk of a netbook" 43%
"discover on a condom" 35%

Interesting... :]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!