Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Goggles on iPhone

WebSonic.nl [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, October 5, 2010
13 years ago18,045 views

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/10/open-your-eyes-google-goggles-now.html

<<Back in December we introduced Google Goggles on Android: it lets you search by taking pictures. Today, we’re excited to announce that Goggles is now a feature of Google Mobile App for iPhone. Google Mobile App already lets you speak your queries, and it can also use your phone’s location to give you more relevant search results.>>

In about 4 weeks I'm going to try it when my iPhone arrives :-).

Jérôme [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

iPhone 3GS and 4G only :(

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I've tried it on my iPhone 3GS but I'm underwhelmed so far. Perhaps the objects I pointed it at were too obscure – for instance, the logo of a Chinese bank chain, for instance, which mistakenly returned World of Warcraft – but if it's something like the Eiffel tower I'm supposed to point it at, what's the use? If I'm next to the Eiffel tower I probably know about that tower :) Mostly, I'm getting "no similar images found". The text translation on the other hand which I tried was always shortened to a single English sentence for which they triggered a Google search, even though I was kind of hoping to actually read the full translation on a page of its own (at least as an option). One thing that did work so far was a book cover, though in that case it would have been quicker for me to just enter the book title, actually.

One thing I can tell though: if this thing would work, it would be really cool. It's already fun to play around with, and I can see many uses for it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!