Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Music in China... the way it should be everywhere.  (View post)

frank [PersonRank 0]

Friday, October 15, 2010
13 years ago22,238 views

not working for german users.

how did you get it to work?

adamzhu1986 [PersonRank 2]

13 years ago #

It only works with a Chinese IP address.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

> how did you get it to work?

I live in China.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

To the Chinese, it must seem like the rest of the world is far behind the times.

13 years ago #

Also worth mentioning that you can also watch all sorts of online streaming video (say, the US Office series, to give a random example) on http://www.tudou.com ... does that one work well from outside the US too? New movies usually arrive as DVDs in stores here though when the film hits US cinema.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

My daughter has become interested in the Spanish language recently, and is watching all kinds of movies on YouTube that were made in the US and dubbed into Spanish.

The whole uploading culture in Spain must be different, because usually the Spanish version of a blockbuster is freely available on youtube.es, whereas the English version has been aggressively taken down from youtube.com.

13 years ago #

Wanted to add that I'd pay for a service like the one Google China Music offers (all music in the cloud plus full download), it doesn't necessarily need to be free. Artists could get a share from the users' monthly subscription fees based on their music's percentage share of listenings. (A bit like how radio works in Germany, probably elsewhere... radio in Germany is taxed to a fund that is paid out to artists in return, and some office counts how much airtime certain songs get... and you can create mix tapes to give to friends by recording radio songs freely.)

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I'm happy with Spotify. All the streaming music you want for free, add supported.

For £5 a month, will remove the adverts. £10 will remove adverts, allow you to have music offline (still through the program, nothing mp3) and a mobile app (iPhone, android, windows phone, some others that I can't remember)

I'm currently on Spotify Free*, but going Premium soon as I've just got a Nexus One.

*Invite only now :-(Spotify Open is avalible to everyone but limited to 20 hours a month.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

For some google services, like legal music download, it is better to make a trial in the mainland China first, because people there have less choices, needlessly mentioning the massive audience.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!