Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google trying to speed up websites with Apache module mod_pagespeed

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, November 4, 2010
13 years ago12,669 views

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blogspot/Dcni/~3/CB8zIZFj930/make-your-websites-run-faster.html

<<So today, we’re introducing an Apache module called mod_pagespeed to perform many speed optimizations automatically. We’re starting with more than 15 on-the-fly optimizations that address various aspects of web performance, including optimizing caching, minimizing client-server round trips and minimizing payload size. We’ve seen mod_pagespeed reduce page load times by up to 50% (an average across a rough sample of sites we tried) – in other words, essentially speeding up websites by about 2x, and sometimes even faster. (...)
Here are a few simple optimizations that are a pain to do manually, but that mod_pagespeed excels at:

* Making changes to the pages built by the Content Management Systems (CMS) with no need to make changes to the CMS itself,
   * Recompressing an image when its HTML context changes to serve only the bytes required (typically tedious to optimize manually), and
   * Extending the cache lifetime of the logo and images of your website to a year, while still allowing you to update these at any time. (...)

mod_pagespeed integrates as a module for the Apache HTTP Server, and we’ve released it as open-source for Apache for many Linux distributions.>>

Speed x2 sounds impressive but admittedly the "average" of sites measured to come up with this number could mean that simply a whole lot of sites use bad CMS's, which wouldn't benefit those webmasters who don't, but I guess even the other changes could help. Anyone given this a try?

13 years ago #

Another point of view: <<Saw a post on the Google code blog about an Apache module they’ve developed to “speed up the web”. Supposedly, it’s supposed to improve load times and user experience for web sites hosted on Apache servers. I ran a few tests and did not find that to be the case.>>

http://www.danifer.com/review-of-mod_pagespeed-for-apache

13 years ago #

A comment from Reddit mentions layout issues after setting this up:

<<I tried it on my site with the defaults. Everything looked fine in firefox and it was doing a few noticable optimizations. I was getting about 10 extra points on the pagespeed plugin. I use RapidWeaver for convenience but the themes are setup in a way that makes for a lot of requests and it can't automatically add to css and js filenames to allow for far future expiry and to still be able to change the files (even manually it will fail if the javascript and css files don't have particular names) So mod_pagespeed seemed like a sweet deal. After sorting out a bunch of things I checked real quick with iron and found that my page layout didn't work anymore, same thing for safari.>>

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/e0ow7/make_your_websites_run_faster_automatically_try/c14erm6

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!