Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Which of your websites, deleted or lost years ago (or on a backup in a box you can't seem to find), would you most like to get back?  (View post)

sdfgsdfgsdfg [PersonRank 1]

Thursday, November 4, 2010
13 years ago230,880 views

Isn't that what SVN and version control is for?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Perhaps some French people remember it, but in 2000 or 2001 there was a site named "Trucs à la con", or "Stupid stuff" in English. Full of fun applications, it was great.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Sdf, maybe if it's something you a) considered important at the time and b) had on your hard disk to begin with. Creating a site with a wizard back in say 1997, for instance, you might never had the full thing on your hard disk (not even talking about the counters, banner systems and what other external widgets you might have used at the time), nor would you have considered it keep-worthy. Jumping to Archive.org will often not reveal what you were after, and I noticed they also tend to use the wrong (namely more uptodate) stylesheet...

Danilo Câmara [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

From 1997 to 1999 I owned a small ISP. At that time I implemented a wizard so people could write their own web pages. I did it for fun and was as free service not restricted to my costumers. It was meant to be simple and easier (?) than other services. When I went out of business I backup it all and never know what to do with them since then. I guess there's more than a hundred pages with some content (not counting the almost empty ones).

Thomas Hofmann Online [PersonRank 2]

13 years ago #

From Feb '98 there was a site about SGML.
http://web.archive.org/web/19980203210920/http://www.sgml.de/
The actual site is moved and outdated. :-/

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

13 years ago #

I wish I had the forums on HiphopInfinity back. I posted thousands of threads there.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I actually have three!

I had a tripod website I had built in 99 about my proposal to my (now) wife. It was as script kiddie as they get, and a typical 90s site, but it was sentimental.

In or around 93/94, I got fed up with how much crap there was on the internet and how hard it was to find quality stuff. So I created an online archive and mailing list that I sent one clean "comic" and one heartwarming story every day.
   I had tens of thousands of users, and I sent the Emails from my AOL account, which only let me send to I think 500 recipients at a time, and it would take a very long time to send. To top it off, after it processed all the addresses, if there was one invalid address in the bunch it didn't send. This made it so that I basically was sending these emails and searching for the next content every waking moment.
   I had amazing testimonials from the recipients such as "I was planning on killing myself today, but this story came at the perfect time to get my attention".
   This was a totally non commercial thing, but I'd bet that if I had monetized it, it could have easily become a huge ministry.

Also, in 99/00 a friend and I made an index site about programming in and between all the languages of the day. We wrote programs to generate all of the static html, and had thousands and thousands of resources that we reviewed. Again, it is quaint as index sites became worthless with google, but it was my first web business so again, has sentimental value. This one, the domain has been squatted for the better part of the decade! (grr)

Omnivorous [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

When Geocities was ready to close, I wrote Michael Palmer, the author of a collection of marine vessels about hosting the detailed pages that he had on the site. When I went to check it today, it is still there:
http://www.geocities.com/mppraetorius/

Dwight Stegall [PersonRank 1]

13 years ago #

I haven't lost any of them. They all still exist on thumb drives, inside of a pharmacy pill bottle, next to my notebook computer. I have several copies of each one.

Since web sites disappear off of the web all of the time I have download many of them to preserve the information on them for future personal use.

Mark Draughn [PersonRank 5]

13 years ago #

Back in the early 90's I bought a domain and got a site hosted. I only wanted it for the email boxes, so I didn't put much on the site. Then when I was bored, I started writing a page with my observations about the software development process. Every time I had a new idea, I'd start a new section at the bottom and add a little more. There didn't seem to be any point to it as a web site, so it was mostly for my own use. After all, who would ever want to read a series of fragmented articles like that, let alone check back to see if I had written more?

In a way, of course, it was one of the first blogs on the internet.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!