Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Chromedroidpad  (View post)

DPic [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, December 9, 2010
13 years ago226,243 views

The cloud might be convenient, but i'm no longer so comfortable with the amount of data we entrust to companies.

Hashim Warren [PersonRank 4]

13 years ago #

I agree with DPic.

Almost every Android or Chrome app I install warns me that the company has access to all of my browsing history. A third of them ask me for my Gmail credentials.

Security in the cloud is tenuous indeed.

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

Before I start this post I'd like to point out that what's written below are just ideas flying through my head, I have no idea if any of this is even possible. Please feel free to correct me on everything, it's the only way I'll learn.
———

● Android is Based on Linux
● You can get Chrome (-ium) on Linux
● Both are Open Sourced

I know that some important* libraries are missing for Android (Including window management) but wouldn't it be possible to re-work the code to work with the Libraries that Android DOES use?

As for the App Market:
● Google Chrome Web Store exists as a website.
● Android Market does not have a site where Apps can be downloaded.
● Sites such as AppBrain.com provide this function

Either:
A) You scrape the information from existing sites into a new All-in-One site. (if possible)
B) Create yet another App Store that needs the developers to submit their Apps all over again, and causing more fragmentation of Android Apps.

OK assuming all of this is possible, we are left with the problem of having the Apps listed in the same place. Well if we're already re-working the code of Chromium to get it to work on Android, then you change the Web App install process to automatically add a "Desktop" shortcut (And load in full screen while your at it)

*Important to getting Linux Applications to run.

Ben Allen [PersonRank 10]

13 years ago #

I would want one as long as I had full data-portability and data liberation.

vonwao [PersonRank 0]

13 years ago #

Doesn't Android already run some version of Chrome (of course not full chrome.. no extensions, etc). But I thought it was based on the same code as Chrome. If that's the case I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to do what you're saying. Maybe google's already working on it.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!