Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google reader expands short urls

Waldir Pimenta [PersonRank 2]

Thursday, February 10, 2011
13 years ago6,393 views

I'm not sure whether this has been pointed out before, or since when it's been active, but I just noticed that hovering the mouse over short urls, the tooltip updates to display the full url. This seems to be faster with goo .gl urls, but short links from other services seem to work as well. Has anyone else noticed this? Has it been announced? Was there a post here on blogoscoped about it?

http://goo.gl/mJExg

[added goo.gl link to blogoscoped forum for testing ~hebbet]

13 years ago #

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Is it a feature that was already known/announced?

Fr [PersonRank 3]

13 years ago #

I tried with Chrome and that does not work for me: http://i.imgur.com/ZkbhB.png

Can you try with Google Chrome in Incognito Mode just to see if it's not an extension you installed?

13 years ago #

Hmm, it works both in chrome and firefox (so I assume it's not an extension), but it doesn't work on incognito (not sure why, possibly privacy issues?)

ps – Note that the expanded url appears in the tooltip, the link itself doesn't change.

Fr [PersonRank 3]

13 years ago #

I use Chrome 10.0.648.45 dev for WinXP.
Which version do you have? Does that work on another computer?

13 years ago #

Ok, so here's the breakdown:

PC1
ubuntu/firefox3.5 (my account): works
ubuntu/firefox3.5 (my account, in private mode): works
ubuntu/chrome (my account): works
ubuntu/chrome (my account, in incognito mode): doesn't work

PC2
windows/IE7 (my account) doesn't work
windows/IE7 (another account) doesn't work
windows/chrome (my account): works
windows/chrome (another account): doesn't work

So I think it's safe to assume this not OS/browser related (save from IE which probably handles link title attributes differently), and is being rolled out in Google Reader itself, but to selected accounts. I also looked in the preferences and there's nothing about expanding short urls so it's nothing related to personal configs either.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!