Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Discontinuing AdSense in Protest  (View post)

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

Wednesday, January 25, 2006
18 years ago

Seems silly to me. I certainly don't have any plans on canceling Adsense on any of my websites. All businesses who deal with countries like China have to make concessions. Google is no different, and having them do so does not make them evil.

The only thing that makes Google evil is the fact that they're a corporation that has more rights than individual citizens. If anyone should get up in arms about anything, it should be our own domestic policy, and not individual corporations' business decisions. There's nothing out of the ordinary about what Google did. They're just another corporate entity making sound business decisions and trying to make a profit.

gr33n [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

huh ... oh, they care so much about foreign country ... how about their own home ... what did they do when usa invated 2 independent states and killed thousands of civilians there?

Arthur [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google like most American big businesses cares about only one thing...The almighty dollar. Money talks, and thats the bottom line. There is no loyality to God or Country. What a shame that we have come to this state in our nation.

Daniel [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I'm not going to cancel my adsense account. I don't get much traffic, let alone clicks, but even if I did, I think i'd leave it running: Because I'm not a news organization with public interest.

Mike [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

baseballmusings.com is discontinuing its adsense in protest...

google rocks [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

baseballmusings.com are stupid then

Mark [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

So... what else do these websites do to support freedom of speech (and thought) in China? I bet nothing. Why don't they do something constructive in stead? Maybe support the Tibetan cause. All to often people are quick to put the blame but are lethargic themselves. Google!= Evil. Chine = Evil.

Christoph Wagner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

So the Page Authors should stop buying anything from Nestle or Coca Cola for example. Nestle supports Child Labor, Coca Cola is buying water from poor and aride countrys...
Source: http://www.alternet.org/story/29337/

Matthias [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Since when is activism a fulltime, no concession-making job?
Since when is a single effort to make a statement or a difference not enough?

I agree with the guys losing their adsense. I really do.

JamesL [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

My opinion is that it's a stupid idea and something that you are doing for no other reason that a "little" PR.

Why not stop using google to search too, you could always use yahoo, oh, wait, they are censoring too, how about MSN, ah, same problem.

Fact is all the main SE's are being forced to censor content, google is still the lesser evil and if you really want to make a difference you should join a campaign against the current Chinese govenment, not google.

Sorry, but I really think your idea is pathetic.

JamesL [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I should of couse point out that by saying "you", I did not mean this site, I meant the site in question.

Argh, need coffee.

Mike Beckham [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I am not cancelling them as there is no service as good as adsense right now.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> I should of couse point out that by saying "you", I
> did not mean this site, I meant the site in question.

James, yeah thanks I thought so :)

splodinvark [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

storm-outside-the-teacup issue:
http://www.zonaeuropa.com/200601brief.htm#096

talkabout [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Done! Cancelled. Don't want anything to do with Google.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!