Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Cache Fair Use  (View post)

Anonymous Coward [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, January 26, 2006
18 years ago

Spiffy! So now I just need to find a way to trick Google into caching some of my favorite MP3's somehow ... perhaps the encoded data as text in an HTML file?

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I am with Google on this one. The nature of the web that it is an opt-in publishing platform that anyone with a browser can access. Traditional published media /always had to be purchased/, or handed to you from an authorized distributor of the work. We are really going to put our foot in our mouths if we try to draw a direct analogy to printed works.

If you want to go there, however, there is an equivalent opt-out procedure for traditional media. Not giving it away for free.

Your website is still protected by copyright, but you lowered the barrier to entrance, and raised the bar for what fair use of your work is, when you decided to start a blog instead of a printed novel.

Rick Akins [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

One could argue that a user who visits google, and views the info he needs right there on google, wouldn't bother to visit the actualy website. In that regard, google may be seen as providing a service out of other people's work without due compensation.

---------------------------------------
http://www.oasisoflove.com

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!