Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Videos Not Playing in Germany  (View post)

d00d [PersonRank 0]

Friday, January 27, 2006
18 years ago

This is as much an annoying as it is an idiotic "block".

The videos can be viewed just fine from Germany, the problem is that google hides the playback button. When a video has the "Put on Site" link, you can copy that code into a webpage (or a local .html file) and it will play just fine.

Simply copying the URL to the flash player into the browser is sufficient to watch the video.

When the 'put on site' link is not available, it's still possible to get a download link from the preview video. An addon script like those to 'save' google videos should work for grabbing the url.

Sigh. Needless to say, google video is quite a pain to use from Germany. Other services (Youtube) don't seem to be concerned by whatever is leading google to block some networks.

politicalguru [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Hey Philipp,

Google Video doesn't play in several other countries: India, Pakistan, China and France. I might have neglected one or two, but this is about the list. Google Video is available in the Netherlands, but not in Germany.

I have a guess: I suspect that these countries have one thing in common: search-engine censorship. It is not permitted to show Nazi propaganda in Germany and France (see the Yahoo! Auctions case), and for some reason or another, Google cannot block users from Germany from receiving whatever they want through the Video.

OK, just a guess and yours is probably as good (or better) than mine, but this list of countries is very weird. BTW, what I do is to copy the URL to Google Translate. It works then.

execute [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

just watched a video from germany without any problem

maybe it is muche better for you to wait a week or two before posting a shit

Jens Minor [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here]execute, look at the date of the postings.

"maybe it is muche better for you to wait a week or two before posting a shit" .p

execute [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

[put at-character here]jens minor
what do u mean? i havent accused google wrong!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!