Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Search Subpoenas: If It's Not Private, It's Public  (View post)

Nathan Weinberg [PersonRank 8]

Tuesday, January 31, 2006
18 years ago

Actually, Microsoft told us at Search Champs last week that they can't release the data publicly yet, because the Department of Justice has it locked in the ongoing investigation. That won't last, though.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nathan, how about the freedom act for public data eh ?? then the DOJ is infringing on the freedom of information act here correct ??

J [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

It may not be user-private data, but it doesn't mean that there isn't comparitive advantage tied into the data that search engines have, and therefore may cost the company by releasing data unnecessarily to anyone who wants to see (such as their competition)

me [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

Well, doesn't google kind of do that already on the froogle homepage, where they list the recent searches.

J [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

well yes, and like they do for zeitgeist, but you can see why they wouldn't want a full day's logs to be publically available – one could deduce all sorts of interesting (and valuable to marketers and competition!) information about the public psyche.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

The dogpile stream doesn't look right to me.

When I look at the search referrals in my own webserver logs, I see lots of single-word queries including plenty that are misspelled, plus a few multi-word queries some of which are quite garbled.

Yet when I look at the dogpile stream, it's predominantly coherent multi-word queries.

I don't think we're seeing raw data here.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!