Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Redesigning Google  (View post)

understyled [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, February 2, 2006
18 years ago

this is 100 times better than the digg story's redesign.

timmy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

sure its better than the redesign, but it still has issues.

1. "sign in" looks as though it is part of the image. it shouldn't be grouped like that, is very unintuitive, and will change location whenever the google image changes.

2. you are missing the "I am feeling lucky" button. Believe it or not _people_actually_use_it. I know I do.

3. again with the point above, you are missing things. personalized home, google business links, advanced search, etc..

4. your page requires more code that runs on the server. on every page request i have to figure out what menu option was selected in the drop down, and then write javascript code to go select that item in the drop down automatically. for text browsers, mobile devices, javascript disabled, this won't work. the current method is simply a different page with the text not linked.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> 1. "sign in" looks as though it is part of the image.
> it shouldn't be grouped like that, is very unintuitive, and
> will change location whenever the google image changes.

It will always be in that positon along with the Google logo :)

> 2. you are missing the "I am feeling lucky"
> button. Believe it or not _people_actually_use_it.
> I know I do.

Absolutely – "feeling lucky" will be part of the select box.

> 3. again with the point above, you
> are missing things. personalized home,
> google business links, advanced
> search, etc..

All directly available after the "more >>" link.

> 4. your page requires more code
> that runs on the server. on every page
> request i have to figure out what menu
> option was selected in the drop down, and
> then write javascript code to go
> select that item in the drop down automatically.

No, you don't need JavaScript to do that (and I could make the code leaner than what Google has now).
Turn off JavaScript in your browser and go to my http://findforward.com – enter something in the search box, and check "old pages". Then click "Find". As you can see, it works without JavaScript.

Rasmus Brask Sørensen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I must admit I think yours is simplicity just for the sake of simplicity, which I find wrong...

While digg actually did some analysis of the current design and improved it both by making the site more stylish and in the same time seperating things, you simple seem to cut things away...

Personally I think the google website is old fashion, but it does the trick (And I use it, don't take me wrong). But many people on the net are claiming it is because of the simple design, that Google has gotten so popular... I don't think this is correct.

Google has a great algoritm (correct spelling?), but I don't find it so much better than e.g. Yahoo... I think the primary reason Google got so popular is because people got tired of the interfaces of Yahoo and other search engines being so filled with all sorts of unrelated crap...

So practically I say Google is the lesser of two evils... design wise anyways...

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

i'll have to agree with everything Phillip just said.

i'll also add that simplicity isn't the only thing that made Google so popular but it's one of the things. simple, neat... like my apartment... just the way i like it.... hehe

Shawn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have to agree...it's a pretty ugly design.

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Remember Philipp that Google knows all ... so the "sign in" is redundant – either remove it or replace with "signed in" ;-)

RudeDog [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

NICE!

The other redesign was total ass. This is beautiful minimalism. Me likey.

Bratsche [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I think that the digg post and link had some good ideas (such as design philosophy), but the resulting page was very un-Google-like. It just looked so very....Web 2.0, with gradients and rounded corners.

Your's is simple, and functional, though I'm still wondering if a drop-down would increase the time spent entering the search.

Sarah [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Maybe one day, Google will let us all design our own page....

oh wait, we can sort of do that now with personalized home...

never mind...

KenWong [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Very nice! I love this design Philipp.

Dropthedropdown [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google should NOT put the commonly used search types (web, images, groups, news, froogle and local search) inside a dropdown box. Much less functional than the links. With the links you're faster and you see the options.

Andy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Ok, let's start again
http://pure-google.blogspot.com

noname [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

andy rulez. maybe just there definitely need to be some more..., so i would put it absolutely right bottom.

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't like the idea of having to click twice to change what type of search I'm doing. But your dropdown menu does allow users to enter a search, Tab to the dropdown and hit I for images, L for local, etc. Then users could Tab to the search button. Your design, unlike Google's current one and the one found in the digg article, allows you to change categories and search without the mouse. So it doesn't matter if you need to click twice if using the mouse. Overall, I like! :-)

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

That's actually not half bad.

blextar [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Mm, I actually hate drop down menus. Dunno if this can be the best solution, or the worst... In my opinion it feels definitely better to have a 4-5 elements' menu with the basic function AND a drop down menu.
But maybe I'm just wrong... nice try ;)

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"I don't like the idea of having to click twice to change what type of search I'm doing"

It is the same amount of clicks as Google (except for I'm feeling lucky)

However, I do agree with you, I hate drop down searches, I'm not sure why but drop down boxes in general always annoy me. Personally I'd be happiest with lots and lots of type="submit" buttons with the different options below the search bar (I go for functionality over aesthetics).

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

U guys suggestions are great!!!

How nice if google comes out something like voice recognition search engine, so we dont need to click here and click there.

What do you think?

18 years ago #

> How nice if google comes out
> something like voice recognition search
> engine, so we dont need to click here
> and click there.

Good at home, not so good in the office.
"Bitney Spears."
"What did you say?"
"No no, I was talking to Google..."

Veky [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You might not know, but they had it in the Labs. http://labs1.google.com/gvs.html
(Of course, it doesn't work anymore. Google is now too serious for these things.)

Gustavo Lima [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Here, in Brasil, the 'popular knowledgement' say: "Em time que está ganhando, não se mexe" (falantes de português de plantão, me ajudem a encontrar algo semelhante a isso em inglês), something like "If the team is winning, if the things are going ok, you should not change it."
Well, nobody know certain if Google has gotten so popular: *because* its simple design; *despite* its simple design; or *indifferently of* its simple design. Does Google know?
Why change the design, so? If the things are going ok (i.e, the most popular search engine), why change it?

PS: Sorry my (poor) English.
PS2: Thanks Google translation tools.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Didn't that phone voice thing only allow one person at a time? They might need to accomodate a little more capacity now :)

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Veky,

Thanks for the tips.

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

How about this redesign:
http://web.archive.org/web/19981202230410/http://www.google.com/

By the way, the logo in that design still lives on in the Google 404 page:
http://www.google.com/i.html

lauren [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i want 2 interviweesnyfhg

Inyuki [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think Google should replace the links "Images", "Groups", .. etc, with the links that just add additional search commands, like "filetype:", "related:", "site:", there could be "images:", "groups:", "froogle:"... maybe.

Heres more [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Two good pages of re-design concepts:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004394.htm

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004385.htm

Tamer Salama [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google actually implemented your idea. Today, when checking their page it gave a selection box next to their search box.

18 years ago #

Tamer, they are still experimenting with this. Probably when you check again, the select box is gone...

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!