Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Quote Finder

andrew [PersonRank 0]

Tuesday, August 31, 2004
19 years ago

Forgive me for being rude, but I don't get it. Couldn't I just put quotes around the quote and enter it into Google? Then at least I could cross reference what the other sources are, rather than just having the quantity of possible matches out in the ether.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Andrew, you can find what the other sources are by clicking on the link. As to the use of the program: you can't copy and paste a whole text into Google and put quotes around it to find sources, for two reasons:

- Google has a 10-word limit, so only the first 10-words of the text would be used
- Google doesn't allow pasting multiple lines
- Only parts of a work may be quoted

In other words to do what Quote Finder does, you'd need to copy every single sentence of a text and paste it into the Google box, searching for it manually.... which takes much more time.

Hope this answers it!

http://blogoscoped.com/quotefinder/

Chris [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I had the same question. You might want to put this in your description of the program. I hadn't planned to use the program again until I saw your response to Andrew's question.

andrew [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Aw christ. Silly me, I didn't even notice the yellow thing was a link. LOL

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

I guess I should have made it an underlined link then. I will!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!