Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Talk a Trojan Horse?

Dominik Schwind [PersonRank 1]

Friday, February 3, 2006
18 years ago

Since their newest update, the free virus scan AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/) seems to find a trojan horse with the name of TR/Drop.Zael in the executable files of Google Talk. A screenshot and blogpost about it in German is here: http://blog.amidasu.net/archive/2006/02/03/trojaner-und-google-talk/
Anyone else besides that person and me had this problem before?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nope, I hqve not heard of any such hack. ..todays news on alerts
is Dubbed "Oscarbot" by McAfee and "Doyorg" by Symantec for AIM and IM s/w

Dominik Schwind [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Actually it is not a hack.. I just tried to download a fresh copy of GT and it immediately pops up the "Found Virus" window...

Muhamed [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

My comp started acting all weird and started lagging,which made me think maybe I got a virus even tho my comp is well protected.I ran a scan and sure enough AVG found the virus you all talkin about.

AgentX [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I just tried uninstalling Google Talk and AntiVir found TR/Drop.zael in C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle Talkuninstall.exe

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

actually me is seeing that VDF's all over are being updated with TR/Drop.zael. Has anyone contacted GT team for an answer ? GT-group have already posted this, but no offical comments yet..

Hassan El-Zayyat [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I had the exact same experience as Dominik except AVPersonal finds "TR/Spy.Bombka" in both the installed Google Talk and the new download. I wrote to Google but no reply yet.

Martin [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I alson found TR/Spy.Bombka and TR/Drop.zael today 2/05/06.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I just downloaded and installed and uninstalled it.
Neither Fortinet Firewall nor my local Panda antivirus reported something.

mike [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

TR/Spy.Bombka here too, found by AntiVir [not by AVG]...hmm

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Corsin, chk your VDF- is it listed as malware ?? i.e [TR/Spy.Bombka and TR/Drop.zael]

Autumn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've been having the same problem, have scanned & deleted all bombka-created files, but it keeps creating them periodically. I uninstalled google talk some time ago, because it hogged resources like nobody's business. I'm totally going to have to wipe the drive soon if these files keep popping up.

Azure Lunatic [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

AntiVir found this in some of my Gaim files, in uninstallation files.

Duncan mac leod [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

me too Spy.Bombka was found in my Gaim unsintallation files

Sorin [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Found it aswell,two times.Once i got the message as I tryed to copy a file from an original CD and the second time as I installed TaskSwitschXP. I think is false alarm!

Marco [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Three days ago...my Antivir v7 found "TR/Drop.Zoel" in all fils in Gt directory.
I tryed the same scan in a new copy of Gt installer: the same answer.
Then...after a first update of AntivirPE it found in the same directories "TR/Spy.Bombka".
I scanned my system by the webtool of Panda: nothing!!! No virus!
But it was there in front of my eyes ;)
After a second update of AntivirPE it don't find anything in Gt directories ;)

MkeF [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i tried some new antivirus software and also had the <TR/Spy.Bombka> found in the uninstall files of G-talk (googletalk-setup-upgrade.exe)....so it seems to be a much more common discovery....AVIRA had it in its definition upgrades (i think as of Feb3 or 6th) ...and it seems to have removed it...

I also seem to have a faster net experience since it and googletalk were removed...

hurshid [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I am sure it was a trojan horse,my AV detected even two times.The ones you guys mentioned,so i guess Google Is trying to keep an eye on everybody,gaining all data they want.
i uninstalled it,no more Google Talk!!!!!!!!though it was giving clear sound ,not like YM with voice.
Take care

GT user [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I think it is a false positive. I ran Norton IS, McAfee AV and both did not detect GT as torjon. I bet there is a mess up in AntiVir's virus defination. I do hope both Antivir and Google fix this issue.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!