Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail Chat coming soon!

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, February 7, 2006
18 years ago

I logged into Gmail today, and saw a new link in the left sidebar along with the usual inbox and sent mail links. The link was marked "Chats" with a speech bubble icon.

Clicking on it gave me a message saying "Get Google Talk so you can chat and make free voice calls with friends. Your Google Talk chat history can be automatically saved right here in your Gmail account. Also coming soon: chat in Gmail!"

There was a picture of what it will look like here: http://mail.google.com/mail/help/chat.html

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Interesting. I thought my experience wasn't matching the FAQ. I've tried both Safari and Firefox and can't figure out how to get that Quick Chat thing to work.

18 years ago #

Andrew, looks like they are following their usual new feature process, as mentioned on the page I linked above:

11. Wait, how come I don't see these chat features you keep talking about in my Gmail account?

We're rolling the new chat features out in stages, so you may not have them in your account quite yet. Thanks for being patient while you wait for your new and improved Gmail account. And unfortunately, the chat features work only in the US-English interface for now. We know, we know... we're getting to the other languages as fast as we can.

Varun [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

I also saw the same thing and was about to post it here..But you came first..Anyways nice thing..

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Blast!

18 years ago #

Yeah, it's rolling out over a few weeks, supposedly. I hope I get it soon! (I guess I also hope my friends get it soon :)

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I just noticed it.

:cool:

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Why is it always me, that does not have this nice features? (Yes, I have the language set to en_US :o))

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!