Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Did Google ban uncyclopedia?

Obli [PersonRank 1]

Tuesday, February 7, 2006
18 years ago

I discovered this a couple of weeks ago and discarded it as a temporary glitch, but it seems that the parody site of Wikipedia, Uncyclopedia has been removed from Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=uncyclopedia&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

Not even by searching for the term "uncyclopedia" can it be found (the first result should be uncyclopdia.org), note that this wiki has been around for 1 year and gained slashdot attention, so there's no question about the fact that it's banned. If the site was off-limits due to robots.txt an unindexed link should appear, right?

Maybe they just beat PageRank by posting something that is the opposite of reliable information, but funny without clearly stating it's a parody anywhere on the site?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

A search for [site:uncyclopedia.org] returns 121,000 results here on Google.com.

Simon [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

203,000 over here, but that's not my point. Uncyclopedia is big enough to appear as the first hit when searching for the name of the site, it should have more than enough backlinks to warrant a top position even if they restricted the site with robots.txt.

I have a feeling Google blocked, or at least bumped it down a lot to get rid of misleading results, like [oscar wilde quotes], a running joke on uncyclopedia used to be in the top ten, now it's somewhere like 80:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=oscar+wilde+quotes&num=100&hs=E4C&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=off

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Maybe (just taking a wild guess here) some spammers posted links on Uncyclopedia, and now Google's algorithms think it's in a "bad" (spammy) neighborhood?

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

You'd think thier first step would be to remove the google ads though...hmm, weird

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!