Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Gmail's Chat Feature  (View post)

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

Wednesday, February 8, 2006
18 years ago

Yup. I am loving it. I am waiting for my friends to have it so that I can chat with them.

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'd email them if you haven't already about the two things you mentioned – shadow on boxes and smileys. It seems like they're always very responsive in the early stages of new projects versus later on when you never know if they're reading emails or preparing secret new features :)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

can you link to one of the smilies? how bad are they?

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Here's what I'd like to know. Even tho I have DISABLE ALL NOTIFICATIONS checked in the Google Talk settings..I still get the little red M inside the GT icon when I get a new Gmail. Why is this?

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

~~~~ I just copy my previous post which was not in the good topic.~~~~
It works for me too
but there is a scam : you are obliged to browse options to discover this choice (2 radio buttons) :

Auto-add suggested contacts:
– Automatically allow people I communicate with often to chat with me and see when I'm online
– Only allow people that I've explicitly approved to chat with me and see when I'm online

The first option is selected by default : it's not a problem if you gmail address is a personnal address, but if like me you are webmaster and you have more than 2000 contacts, it's unbearable! Isn't it?

For example : I see Philipp in my contact list, but I never chatted with him on Gtalk! On MSN, for example, your contact is warned, by default, to approuve to chat with you, it's not the case on Gmail Chat!

Google, don't be evil, please...
~~~~
What do you think about this? I know that is a way for Google to promote their new device, but it's not reason to force me to come in contact with all my contacts...

Miel [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Philipp, dude, you should empty your spam folder :) Or are you saving up to give it as a heritage to your kids later? (30 years of spam, what would be the market value of that?)

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

MSN is probably the only client that has the first behavior by default, and I for one always change it. I don't know many people with an unbearable number of contacts. and if it did get to be a problem, they could always change this setting.

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Miel,
Spam mails are automagically deleted after 30 days old.

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I want it! Why is it that Google never rolls out features to me first? And after all the love I've given them. :(I feel disheartened.

18 years ago #

So Philipp gets 15,000 spam emails a month? That's also a lot of drafts :)

Adam B. [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

For those who have it, is there any particular order in which you're getting it? Were you an original user of gmail 1st or 2nd round invites? Usage or mail size? I always get anxious when waiting for a new feature....

Bratsche [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

As I was typing this message into the comment box, I opened up my Gmail account, and a screen announcing Google Talk came up instead of the inbox. So I guess I'm in. Sweet.

Mook [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The smileys rock!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I'm abusing the drafts function; whenever you order something, you can copy the order confirmation, go to Gmail, switch to rich-text, and save it into the email as "draft". Works great!

Caleb, a small version of the smileys can be seen inside the screenshot in the post. That's why I didn't like them much, they are quite tiny.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

ahh, i was looking for the obnoxious yellow image type ones. I do the same thing with my drafts but i send them then label them so they don't clutter my drafts

18 years ago #

Here's the smiley for you:
http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-chat-smiley.jpg

Jamcnair [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Hmm...I don't have it yet, though it seems everyone got the Chat History by virtue of using Google Talk and linking it to your account. That alone is pretty spiffy.

Now that we have this, could Google please combine Google Talk and Picasa's Hello photo sharing instant messenger service? And then allow keeping photos received through Hello in your Gmail account? And maybe a Picasa plugin for Flickr, too (yes, I know it's a Yahoo! company).

I mean, Picasa, Hello, and Blogger already work pretty well together.

Of course, I'm biased, I've always said that Google Groups should just be a "special view" of Gmail. I'm all about the integration, kids.

http://www.hello.com
With the right people, Picasa + Hello + blogger can become addictive.

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I don't get as much spam as Philipp (thank goodness) but I have 153 drafts. ;)

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/7347.html

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

How smooth is "very smooth"?

If a desktop IM product is 10/10 for smoothness and current "web messengers" are 0/10 where is this Gmail Chat?

18 years ago #

Oh and also how does "Popping Out" work against Firefox's popup blocker?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam: it does not. You get the "Grrr. A popup blocker is blocking..." and you have to whitelist mail.google.com to make it work (same in IE)

and the rating... maybe a... 4 out of 10

18 years ago #

Wow! Just been enabled for me. I would say it is very smooth. Maybe 7 or 8 of 10.

But the box that comes up when you move your mouse over the names in your inbox --- that is not nice.

uma [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Still not here at my account :-(
Does anyone know, is there particular reason/order for gmail to activate the accounts? Because that's true as someone said before – for some reason I'm always the last one to get new features and by the time I get them, it's old news :-(

CaptQuirk [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Uma, there is apparently no rhyme or reason to the order in which chat is being introduced. I have more than one Gmail account and the newest one has it while the oldest one doesn't.

Matt B [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Does this not show up as an option for anyone else when using the https site?

I have no problem when using the normal http, but I wouldn't mind being able to SSL when at work...

Jamcnair [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

It actually says in the docs that the https site does NOT have GMail+chat enabled yet. Apparently they are working on it.

I still don't have it :-(

18 years ago #

I also don't yet have it :(

I'm leaving my Google Talk program open in case that somehow helps me get it (or at least I can see who else I know that got it :)

James [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

For those that asked... I don't think there is any reasoning behind the chat rollout. The two accounts I've had for a while now and frequently use don't yet have chat, but one that I made a month ago that I rarely login because it's set to forward has it. Crazy.

Ano [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

How do I disable the little pop-up suggesting "Mail" or "Invite to Chat"?
Anyone please!!

18 years ago #

This irritates me when I move the mouse over the inbox (or other list of messages). Although this morning it *seems* to take longer to appear, i.e. it is less annoying.

I don't know whether this is an actual change to gmail or just a different PC or something.

Luca [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My account now show a new logo

https://mail.google.com/mail/help/images/logo1.gif

instead of the old

https://mail.google.com/mail/help/images/logo.gif

but the feature is not yet enabled :-(

god 0 [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

My account also has the Gmail + Talk logo, but no chat feature. It could be that your browser is not supported (currently only Internet Explorer 6.0+ and Firefox 1.0+; I'm using a special build of Firefox which may be my problem) or that you are using the https version of Gmail.

18 years ago #

Just got it last night – I don't know if having the Google Talk client open had anything to do with it. Seems like it's completely random.

A Gmail User [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It is random and nothing to do with having google talk open. I do not have it, and use google talk while my friends have the new chat and they have never used google talk. However their names and emails addresses both start with the same letter!

:D [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I have 8 gmail accounts, each registered about 1 month apart. I use the 1st and the 6th most often, almost never the 5th, but it is now the 5th which has GChat. Maybe it is because I use Opera mostly for the other accounts, but only IE was available when I was checking every account to see if I had GChat.

:D [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Great. Just checked, and now my 7th account (which I've only ever logged into ONCE) has GChat too.

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I had it last time I logged in, but now it's gone again. Strange. I'm using the same browser version and all... Perhaps it's because I'm logged into Talk on another computer.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Or maybe this time you use secure protocol (https)?

Marco [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

This is weird. Maybe it can help us to understand how they are roling the accounts over. I have only one gmail account. From work I have averything, the chat works wonderfully. From home it does not show up. I use firefox 1.5 in both computers so this is not the issue here.

One other thing to observe is that most geo/country-aware web applications reckons my home connection as comming from Mozambique (my real location) while my work location (still in Mozambique) show up usually as Ghana. This geo-awareness is done, as far as I know by the use of ip range databases and this might explain this weird behaviour.

Therefore I think google is roling out the chat feature based on ip ranges and not accounts.

Cheers,
Marco

Graham [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

How do you get it to go to the http site? when i try it auto redirects me to https
so i could use chat with another puter but not my one at home

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Graham – maybe you use Firefox extension/Groesmonkey script/Opera user-script that force using secure connection in Gmail? Try to disabe it.

Graham [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Internet explorer 6 ?

Elekktra [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I have tried to use gmail chat but a message telling me that a pop up blocker is stopping this keeps coming up. How do I fix this please?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Is it just me or are there others having problems with Gmail in Firefox 1.5.0.1? Sometimes everything works great, but as soon as gmail reports some errors, firefox hangs and I have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE it...

18 years ago #

Works here, with same Firefox version...

Kim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

What I want to know, is how the chat feature access the internet. Is it plain text like all other chat applications that anyone looking on the server and see? When I am at work, I think it would be frowned upon to be using it, but if it just looks like web traffic, I'd be fine. Any thoughts?

Kim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Oy, you'd think I was in 4th grade with that grammar. I think my question will be understood though, right?

18 years ago #

Yep, I think it will look just like (Gmail) web traffic. But of course there may be certain traffic patterns or web URLs (like http://...chat-something...) appearing which may reveal you.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

yes "chat// whatever" will conform to RFC 3921 XMPP IM – the iq stanza can be reveled in the event a sniffer is around--but then thes niffer has to be able to go thru to the TCP payload to figure this out..

most TCP payload analysis is alawsy border edge only

prislely laz [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i want to chat my friends through gmail

Danny [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I couldnt figure out why i hadnt got it.
I changed my language in settings from english(uk) to english(us)
then i saved and saw a screen saying i could use gmail chat.
changed back to uk english, gmail chat gone, back to english us again and now
i have it back again.
will have to leave it in us english until it works for uk english.
mite help sum people.

sammy [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I still don't have it in one of my accounts, and i can get to it through my wife's account on the same computer. i don't even have the delete button yet! i have the firefox extension, but still ... what's going on?!!

Chets Bhats [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Regarding the gmail grr!!!! pop-up blocker blockin the chat feature, try GMail Manager extension in firefox 1.0.7.. it works well..

Podi [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Sammy is right!
read his message

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

make sure your language is set to English (US) in your settings on Gmail

naina [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Dannny!!
thanks a whole load for that pointer....it weirded me out when i couldnt find Chat after i switched to UK English...now i'll switch it back...
it's really cool, the chat thing, though they should have adequate info when something doesnt work.
I'm Back!

Alistair Oates [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Yep, its the Language that does it, I changed to the US one and instantly it started working! Bit annoying as now it has the spell check with the US spelling which isn't so cool, but i guess i'll learn to cope!!

Operas [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hi all

im using opera
but Gchat doesnt works ???

how can i solve this problem

thanks

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!