Google Blogoscoped

Forum

[Yahoo vs Google comparison]

Dylan Sanders [PersonRank 0]

Saturday, September 4, 2004
19 years ago

I tried the "google blog" search you mention, and am getting accurate results.

They just seem to be a little confusingly presented.

If you count up all the results, there are indeed 10 from Yahoo and 10 from Google. What they're doing is counting results from the same domain as being overlapping. For example, blogger.com (#5 on Google)
and blogger.com/about (#4 on Yahoo) are counted as, essentially, the same result.

So, even though the site suggests it's showing 14 results (9 overlapping, 1 from Google, 4 from Yahoo), it's really showing 20 (15 URLs that either overlap directly or are counted as overlapping because they're closely related within the same domain, from Google and 4 from Yahoo).

As for your comment about the "what am I missing" search, I can't reproduce the error you describe. When I search "google blog" on Google.com, I don't see an article from The Register in Google's top 10. When I count the results I get 20 of them, and the 3 Jux2 says
are not in Google's top 10 truly aren't there.

I actually think this is kind of a neat way to get unique incremental search results, but I agree the counting of overlap is a little confusing.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

Article in question
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2004_08_17_index.html#109272955668616898

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!