testimonty of google

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, February 15, 2006
18 years ago

just in the 'offical testimony' of google with the us gov

http://wwwc.house.gov/international_relations/109/sch021506.pdf

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

no wonder they are all fighting amonst themselves to get into the market!!

whewwwwwwwwwww..look at this

"There are currently more than 105 million Internet users in China.1 Nearly half of them have access to broadband connections – an increase of 41% since 2003.2 Even so, Internet deployment in China is at a very early stage, reaching only about 8% of the population.3 Among those under 24 years of age, more than 80% are Internet users.4 By 2010, China will have more than 250 million Internet users.5 And already, there are more than 350 million mobile phones, a number growing by roughly 57 million annually.6"

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

microsofts ts is now online too along cisco's!!

http://wwwc.house.gov/international_relations/109/kru021506.pdf

http://wwwc.house.gov/international_relations/109/cha021506.pdf

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ok i missed yahoo's . here it is..

http://wwwc.house.gov/international_relations/109/cal021506.pdf

Andreas [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

"It is too early to say that it is a pleasure to be here." – that's the title of Google's presentation pdf, nice. All the other pdf files have rather boring titles, e.g. "Chandler.doc".

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

* If Google were Microsoft:
--------------------------------------------
Google welcomes the opportunity to address the issues surrounding Internet- based services in China. We are deeply concerned about recent events that have prompted widespread public attention to issues of individual security and government control of Internet content in that country. And we are actively seeking ways of maximizing the availability of information and opinion through these services while reducing the risks to individual users.

Google believes that issues of Internet content and customer security go to the heart of our values as a company. The Internet should be fostered and protected as a worldwide vehicle for reliable information and communications, personal expression, innovation and economic development. Google seeks to advance that objective by providing services such as our free Gmail email service, as well as reliable access through the Google portal to the millions of websites that have made the Internet such a magnet for education, commerce, entertainment, and, increasingly, for personal communications and expression.

* If Microsoft were Google:
"My name is Elliot Schrage and I am the vice president for global communications and public affairs at Microsoft. My role is to help shape and explain the decisions Microsoft makes as a company in its efforts to provide global access to information as quickly, conveniently, usefully, and comprehensively as possible.

I'm here today to answer any and all questions you might have about how we are attempting to do business in China. I certainly don't – my colleagues certainly don't – expect everyone to agree with our decision to launch a new service inside this challenging, complex, promising market. I hope my testimony will help explain how we came to our decision, what we're seeking to accomplish, and how we’re seeking to accomplish it.

* If Google were Yahoo!:
Chairmen Smith and Leach, Ranking Members Payne and Faleomavaega, and Members of the subcommittees, I am Michael Callahan, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of Google Inc. Thank you very much for the opportunity to testify before you today.

I would like to make three fundamental points here today:

First, our principles. Since our founding in 1995, Google has been guided by beliefs deeply held by our founders and sustained by our employees. We believe the Internet can positively transform lives, societies, and economies. We believe the Internet is built on openness. We are committed to providing individuals with easy access to information. These beliefs apply in the United States. These beliefs also apply in China, where the Internet has grown exponentially over the past few years and has expanded opportunities for access to communications, commerce, and independent sources of information for more than 110 million Chinese citizens.

* If Google were Cisco:
My name is Mark Chandler, Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Google Systems. Thank you for the opportunity to address some very important and difficult issues. Google strongly supports free expression and open communication on the Internet, and we respect the strength of conviction of those who have brought these concerns forward.

The Committee is exploring the question of Chinese government censorship of the Internet. In this regard:
   * Google does not customize, or develop specialized or unique filtering
   capabilities, in order to enable different regimes to block access to information
   * Google sells the same equipment in China as it sells worldwide
   * Google is not a service or content provider, or network manager
   * Google has no access to information about individual users of the Internet

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Brain, . thats friggin so hiralous!! :)-

Ding Guangen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

We Party leaders wonder why all big fuss? We give Chinese people all materialistic wants. Cars, mobile telephones, big fashion clothes, pop music. Why want more? What else is there our people would care about?

Peoples internet only for to buy ring-tones and toys, read latest official news, praise of glorious Party leaders, and to assist our brothers in revolution in Iran and Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea.

Talk of lies and western ideas of democracy, religion, human rights, freedom distracts Chinese people from our materialistic prosperity. Please to understand. Chinese people our property. Whole deck of cards collapse soonest, people stop building Communism forever if people allowed to free thinking.

Cooperative partners Google and Yahoo so very helpful in preventing wrong thinking, help paving the final solution, so Peoples Republic lasts a thousand years.

Ding Guangen
Chief Minister, Propaganda
Chinese Communist Party
Deputy Chief, 610 Office
Beijing

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Respectful Ding,

Sun Tzu once said (circa 250BC) : "the true object of information is peace". and Neoplean once said (circa 1870) "when china awakes the world will shake"

There maybe difference of opinion that certainly need diplomatic and constructive dialogue. I speak for myself and certainly agree that in the PRC "We give Chinese people all materialistic wants. Cars, mobile telephones, big fashion clothes, pop music. Why want more? What else is there our people would care about? "

I think that we commoners are just asking for the freedom of speech for one and all. While you are talking about "Materialistic wants", I am talking about the freedom of speech, religion and thought.

and btw, may I ask – Why are you so interested in "to assist our brothers in revolution in Iran and Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea. " ??

just asking ....

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

This linked page contains links to all the testimony at the Congressional hearing: The Internet in China: A Tool for Freedom or Suppression?

http://www.house.gov/international_relations/afhear.htm

Of the greatest importance are the statements by the human rights groups.

We must stop American and other companies from continuing to do Beijing's dirty work.

February 15, 2006:
10:00 a.m., 2172 Rayburn House Office Building
Hearing: The Internet in China: A Tool for Freedom or Suppression?
Hearing Notice, The Honorable Christopher H. Smith, The Honorable James A. Leach, Mr. James Keith, The Honorable David Gross, Mr. Michael Callahan, Mr. Jack Krumholtz, Mr. Elliot Schrage, Mr. Mark Chandler, Ms. Libby Liu, Mr. Xiao Qiang, Ms. Lucie Morillon, Mr. Harry Wu, Ms. Sharon Hom

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

By getting a leg in – not by ignoring the problem.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

webcast video of the session and PDF copies of all written testimony here

http://wwwc.house.gov/international_relations/aphear.htm

I think there is no more going to be "just roll over and play dead" syndrome by the IT companies!!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!