Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Protest Script Redirects Yahoo Searchers  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, February 19, 2006
18 years ago

very interesting.. but s/he also updates this with

"UPDATE: I know that Google is not better, nor is Microsoft. I'll do the same as soon as Amnesty (or others) will promote similar campaign against them."

Whew..... this will be like a grass root level upraising if this catches on for all the Search Engines!!

jeremy mikkola [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Ha! Cool. Very cool. What a use for javascript!

AN [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Someone's taking a stand... However, can a site really "live" without referrers from the big three search engines?

DeK [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Hi!Ecce blogger...

I was thinking on what pointed out here.
I don't care a lot about losing visitors, but others may care, and this is an obstacle in the spreading of the initiative.
More over, (paradoxically) losing visitors from the search engines may reduce the effectiveness (if there's any, I'm not that naif...)

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> However, can a site really "live" without referrers
> from the big three search engines?

For a limited time, I'd say yes. However scripts such as that one may get you banned for employing doorway pages, and then the boycott would be more permanent...

DeK [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

>However scripts such as that one may get
>you banned for employing doorway pages,

Uhm... That's true.
What if I redirect to another page of my blog?

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Why doing this with javascript? why not use Status 302 (Moved permamently)

John Gordon [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Sadly, because blogspot is blocked in China, you can't see the script in action over here...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> What if I redirect to another page of my blog?

I'd suggest you simply do a special prominent welcome box for visitors from Yahoo.

"Welcome Yahoo visitor! Did you know that Yahoo is partly responsible for _landing Chinese dissidents in jail_? [linked]

Normal content follows..."

I don't know if that is against Search Engines' policiies, it's similar in effect to auto-highlighting search keywords...

Angelo Embuldeniya [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

John & the folks in China who can't view the script in action, you could do so by using the following url:

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/view?&h=108&w=145&type=msmedia&rurl=dekku.blogspot.com%2F2006%2F01%2Fgirl-flesh.html&vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fourdim.se%2Fmovies%2Fgirlflesh_stor.wmv&back=p%3Dgirl%2Bflesh%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dsfp%26cv%3Dg%26x%3Dwrt&turl=re2.mm-b1.yimg.com%2Fimage%2F1628989457&name=girlflesh_stor.wmv&no=2&tt=11&p=girl+flesh&oid=e55ad15b3545cec8&size=4.7MB&dur=78&src=p.nyud.net:8080

all you need to do is ammed the url by adding a .nuyd.net:8080 to the end of it :-)

cheers

DeK [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

> I'd suggest you simply do a special prominent
> welcome box for visitors from Yahoo.

So I did...
Now I got this big purple box and this even bigger headache.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!