Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Online TV Recorder  (View post)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, February 28, 2006
18 years ago

Is this acutally legal? Google should do something like this....

they have www.googletv.com registered ;)

Hashim [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

seems very illegal.

Is it morally ok to promote services on your blog that you know are illegal? Would any blogger talk about a service positively that screen scrapes content from a blog?

Just wondering.

Martin [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I don't think it's illegal. You can't share these files. You've to program the online-tv-recorder before the tv-program starts. You don't get files "from the past". As far as I know there are some commercials selling the same service. But perhaps I'm wrong ...

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

did any one notice that this is "mobile-phone number" enabled too ?? that means one can get "TV on the go " too!!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

> Is it morally ok to promote services on your
> blog that you know are illegal?

Law and morals don't always match, even though in this case I don't have evidence telling me the site is illegal. I pay for German TV – the site has German TV channels – through a service called GEZ, so this site gives me a chance to record programs even when I'm away from home & my TV card (like at the moment). The site does not give me a chance to download copies of older things I did not specifically add to the record queue. By agreeing to the site's Terms of Service, which I did by signing up, I confirmed that I "could receive recorded tv shows or channels otherwise with legal use of tv and videorecorders at any given time," that I'm recording shows only for my private use, and that in my jurisdiction "recording of aired shows is legal," all of which hold true.

But yes, I do think there's a chance OnlineTvRecorder will be shut down. Look at the service of MP3.com which was also shut down (details of this service are not comparable to OnlineTvRecorder):
http://www.authorama.com/free-culture-16.html

> Would any blogger talk about a
> service positively that screen scrapes
> content from a blog?

E.g. Google screen-scrapes content from blogs – it's called the Google Cache.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it's just for German stations. Except for ARTE (and MTV), you won't find shows so interesting to overcome the fact you don't know German.

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Unless you're more interested in the Erotikafilms in which case you wouldn't need any German.

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

There's NO way this would last in America – the big networks would hit it with their lawyers and cease &desist in nothing flat!

Too bad for Joe-User, because it would be a cool service ... and as a matter of fact, there is a PBS special this Thursday on Dome car trains that my wife happened to get filmed in ... so I'd LOVE a digital copy of her appearence.

blb [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

where i can find it?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Check the "view post" link on top... it leads you to onlinetvrecorder.com (which is kinda slow right now).

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think illegal or not is depending on the company's policy...

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

if its for file-sharing purposes then its ok..
if you take the recording and try making money out of it.. thats illegal!

p.s.
i record t.v. programs using my MP4 player(Archos AV740).
and i think its ok to share the programs i record...
i dont know what about you but i think that online t.v. will become available to every internet connected house..it will take a while..but in a couple of years..the cables network and the satelites network will just die!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!