Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Judge a Book by Its Cover  (View post)

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, March 7, 2006
18 years ago

Keeps giving me the same book over and over.... should session me and not keep asking. poor technology it seems

Chris Riley [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

Sorry to hear you've had that problem Travis, I'm still fiddling with the code to get the best method of selecting covers for judging. Not exactly poor technology, just the random feature of MySQL isn't very random!! I'm still expanding the catalogue of covers too, there's about 100 covers in each category at the moment.

I'll see if I can work something out based on your feedback, but thanks for the comments, any feedback, good or bad, is better than none.

18 years ago #

Just to add to that too, initially I didn't use sessions as I wanted to try and minimise the use of sessions and cookies as much as possible to try and help the site run quickly.

18 years ago #

Hi Travis, just though you might like to know I've been working on the "poor technology", and the site now sessions you to keep track of the last 60 covers you've judged (I did do it for more, but performance was affected) so you should see less duplicate covers.

Hope you find the site more fun to use now!

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Hmm, why is MySQL's rand not random? It always wortked for me...

18 years ago #

Well, it is random, but not as random as some users wanted it to be! It tended to bring back the same covers time after time when judging several covers (perhaps my data set isn't large enough yet) – however it seems to be working much better now.

Thanks for the interest in the site anyway Philipp! Always nice to be featured on the front page of a blog I read regularly!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!