Google Blogoscoped

Forum

yahoo blocks rss utilisation on web sites

mate [PersonRank 1]

Saturday, September 18, 2004
19 years ago

I have a problem on a site using yahoo rss feed.
i use http://news.search.yahoo.com/usns/ynsearch/categories/news_story_search_rss/index.html?p=keyword
with the keyword changing with the searches on my site.

Nothing id displayed
Anybody having the same problem ?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

19 years ago #

The RSS file you link to looks fine to me. Could it be your server IP is banned because you request the file too much? In that case, I would write an email to Google, and also implement a caching system.

19 years ago #

I can now confirm the bug you see! I had to remove both my Yahoo RSS feeds from my news page.

Leo Notenboom [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

I had a client with this problem. The feed apparently had some embedded NULL characters in it. Sometimes. That confused the parser (Carp, in my case). Stripping the NULLs resolved my issues.

Ben Corcoran [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Hi Leo, my Yahoo search RSS feeds have mostly died also. Did you actually dig into carpinc.php to fix Carp so it would strip these NULLs? I can't seem to get my carp to work with these Yahoo feeds anymore.

19 years ago #

I'm using NuSOAP and MagpieRSS by the way. I removed the Yahoo RSS feeds from all of my sites. Too bad.

mate [PersonRank 1]

19 years ago #

The cause of this problem is that yahoo rss feeds are not valid. Check Yahoo feed source with a validator and you'll see...
I use MagpieRSS and it stops parsing when an unknown caracter comes.

Ben [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Sounds like Yahoo pulled the plug. Too bad...

Ben [PersonRank 0]

19 years ago #

Problem solved, thanks to Carp genius Antone Roundy. The best!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!