Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Why Orkut is Popular in Brazil  (View post)

Marcos [PersonRank 0]

Thursday, March 9, 2006
18 years ago

Just correcting: in Brazil is Yakult, too. But yes, people here are calling the service "yakult" and even "Iogurte (portuguese for iogurt, but the pronunciation here is almost the same).

Nobody knows for sure why this service is so popular, but Friendster was very popular here and so is Fotolog. I think that brazilians love to see and to be seen, and everybody here knows lots of people, and say that they are all "good friends". People are very open to new friendships and is very common to have three or four social circles with lots of people in.

jobert [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Yakult is also famous here in the Philippines but this is a Friendster nation.

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Orkut works in Brazil because it was the first service of this kind of network to start here, and was successful because of the word-of-mouth marketing. Only. Not iogurt analogies or drink (Yakult), or food (Chucrute – Sauerkraut, the german food in portuguese).

Other aspect. Each nation has to choose one of these networks to make its own place for living, this is obvious when we look MySpace in United States, Friendster in Philippines, and so on. The same nation has to be in the same place for all to work correctly, then you can connect to friends from the same country (Brazil is big and is difficult for everybody to live a 2 or 3 countries realities).

Bratsche [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

What's Orkut like? I don't know a single person, so there's no way for me to get invites. Though I don't know if I like social networking: Myspace is pretty terrible.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Orkut is too small for me (fonts, windows, everything) with too little to see (you need to page through 5 messages a time!). I suppose it was designed for *really* small screens. It was always very slow when I still used it.

Michael [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i guess it ahs nothing to do with this jogurt.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Brazil Asks Google To Help Orkut To Stop Organizing Organized Crime..
So much for Yoghut!!

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/060310-112131

iman [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

and Iranians new orkut after orkut.com:
http://www.cloob.com/

Fabio [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Something to do with Yakult? OUCH! The supidiest thing someone can say about a website popularity!

Laurent Van Winckel [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This is so unprobable, I don't really see any good relation between Yakult and Orkut. Fabio's explaination looks more correct.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

this is now cathing in blogsphere.. amit has a reviw on al Quida

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/03/how-google-can-help-fbi-catch-al-qaeda.html

Roberto Verissimo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I agree with Fabio and I say more: bullshit! Loren has much to learn Brazilian people intelligence...

crwth [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Orkut jumped the shark a long time ago. No bug fixes or enhancements of any kind, and it's kind of degenerated to a Friendster level of interaction.

Mike [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

“Brazil had gravitated toward Orkut because of the country’s inherently social culture. Brazilians really want to interact with other people, both old friends and new people”

all said.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Brazilians really want to interact with other people."

And what's so unique here?

ME cansam [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

orkut is notinhg more than online stupidity, and there are a lot of brazilians in there. just my 2c.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!